Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-23-2005, 09:12 PM

Default How often are you NOT called when raising PF?

I play 9max on the stars: $25 and $50 games.
I find that when playing tight preflop, playing approximately 20% of hands and raising roughly 7-9% of them, that many of times I am not getting called by raising a standard 4BB+1BB for each limper. Everyone folds to me about 40-50% of the time... it gets especially frustrating when holding AA and KK in early position.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:14 PM

Default Re: How often are you NOT called when raising PF?

Tis better to win a small pot the to lose a large one, but better to win a large one than a small one. Take that as you want, but either way you are chalking up a win. \

As a tight player, raise a little less, maybe 3x instead of 4x...these games are usually loose, but check out the Avg. Player/Flop before you sit down
Old 12-23-2005, 09:16 PM

I usually pick tables with highest Avg. Player/Flop. I will try the 3xBB method or at least mixing it up sometimes 3xBB or 4xBB.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:33 PM

Raise more from LP with speculative but not dominated hands. That way you'll appear looser and will get more calls all around.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:52 PM

4bb +1/limper is just a guideline. At some tables/sites this is too much or too little. Try raising 3bb to open or 4bb with 1-3 limpers.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise more from LP with speculative but not dominated hands. That way you'll appear looser and will get more calls all around.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely. I will open-raise suited connectors from late position all day. Sometimes after limpers, too. Anybody who's paying attention will start to call you more with weaker hands, and anyone who isnt? well, they won't see it coming when you stack their TPTK with a 3-7 straight.

Additionally, sometimes I raise less if i'm open raising a big hand from late position (3x as opposed to 4x) because I want action on it. I'm not totally sure how I feel about this, but I welcome other opinions.