Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-23-2005, 10:17 AM

Default Adjusting to Higher Limit Games

Hello,

So I think we're pretty much agreed that the weak/tight early style doesn't cut it past perhaps the $30 games. I should think that it'll stop cutting it at the $20s and $30s in the next few months. So what to do about it?

I'm already a pretty aggressive player, and I'm not as weak tight as a lot of people on this forum appear to be. I played a couple of $50s yesterday (with a friend, in a non-collusion kind of way), and I really noticed how the $20 approach isn't much use. One of them was 8 handed at 100/200 blinds. That doesn't happen in the $20s.

So what kind of adjustments are people making? I should be searching for the passive players and making them pass more hands, but what kinds of situations should I be doing this in? Any kind of generalised advice is welcome.

Incidentally, I beat the $20s for a good 20%+ ROI, and I also beat the $200 and $400 NL games, so I do know how to play poker, I'm more interested in playing style advice than specific hands here. I figure it'd be best to get a condensed form of wisdom instead of sitting around experimenting for a few hundred dollars.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:27 PM

Default Re: Adjusting to Higher Limit Games

[ QUOTE ]
with a friend, in a non-collusion kind of way

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of way is that?
Old 12-23-2005, 12:30 PM

I don't know who "we" are, but I don't agree.

It's quite possible to make good money playing weak/tight early in the 33-55s. I didn't adjust my play much when I moved from the 33s to the 55s. 200 extra chips is obviously different.
The step from 55-109 is very noticeable (I've only played a few 109s though).
Actually I don't know what you are asking. Adjust to the multitablers, adjust to the loose callingstations.

Oh, and I was ITM in lvl2 in a 55$ the other day. I'm sure 8-handed play at 100/200 in a 22$ is happening every day.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know who "we" are, but I don't agree.

It's quite possible to make good money playing weak/tight early in the 33-55s. I didn't adjust my play much when I moved from the 33s to the 55s. 200 extra chips is obviously different.
The step from 55-109 is very noticeable (I've only played a few 109s though).
Actually I don't know what you are asking. Adjust to the multitablers, adjust to the loose callingstations.

Oh, and I was ITM in lvl2 in a 55$ the other day. I'm sure 8-handed play at 100/200 in a 22$ is happening every day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spot on.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:45 PM

if u do it right weak tight early, etc, works up to the 215s.. just not by much. i suspect around a 4-5% roi can be attained with excellent use of icm knowledge late game, even folding all but QQ-AA and AK in lvls 1-2. holla
Old 12-23-2005, 01:11 PM

In a "I'm going to knock you out" kind of way.