Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 12-15-2005, 12:23 AM

Default Re: 30/60 Stud hi hand

capping the river makes me want to puke.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:15 AM

One time in a movie,I think it was Cape fear,I saw a guy raise his fist up in the air from underwater as he sank to the bottom of a river.This image flashed into my mind when I saw your last raise.(No disrespect intended.I'll bet you won the hand.)
Old 12-15-2005, 02:36 AM

Very nice analysis Sara
Old 12-15-2005, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One time in a movie,I think it was Cape fear,I saw a guy raise his fist up in the air from underwater as he sank to the bottom of a river.This image flashed into my mind when I saw your last raise.(No disrespect intended.I'll bet you won the hand.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Great analogy...it made me laugh.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:08 PM

Thanks for the great analyses, especially by sara and frappe. I had an idea that I screwed this hand up somewhere right after I played it (which is why I posted it) but I didn't think it was to bad at the time. The more I look at the hand and read your ideas the less I like my play throughout. I just started writing a paper that is due in five hours so my analysis and results will have to wait until later.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:14 PM

Default 3rd st. reraise

One quick note about both frappe's and sara's anaylses. You both mentioned that if I played the hand, I should have reraised on third to get heads up. I would definitely have done this if there hadn't been a caller in between us, and given that there was only the bring in left to act behind me, raising would not have helped much to reduce the number of players in the pot. Were you guys thinking that maybe the original raiser would 3 bet and knock out the guy in the middle, that reraising would be worth it to ensure that the bring in would not enter, or did you just not notice that there was a 3rd player already in?

-Carlos
Old 12-15-2005, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
capping the river makes me want to puke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed.

Hey Chris, you should read/post more in the stud forum.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:47 PM

Default My thoughts and results

On third st. I thought there was a good chance that I had the best hand (the 3 seat would open raise with pretty much any pair, or 3 boardwalk cards), but I choose not to reraise because of seat 5's call, meaning I wasn't getting it heads up, which weakens my dead hand in a 3 or 4 way pot. I think folding is probably the worst option since I have good position for the rest of the hand and since my hand is best a lot. Reraising would be ok, but ties me to the hand on later sts. by making the pot big, which I don't like doing with a dead hand multiway.

I agree with everyone that my 4th st. play should have just been to call. What I was thinking is that I had a scary board and I was trying to take control of the hand and knock out the 4th player. Unfortunately I didn't consider the fact that the diamonds were so dead and therefore my hand wasn't very scary. I guess I also made the mental mistake of committing myself to the hand at this point, basically deciding that the 3 seat didn't have As, and might have had just a lower pair in the hole.

I 5th I think I should have folded. My 9 and A are both dead, and I only have runner-runner str8 draws. The 3 seat seems really strong after the 3 bet on 4th and then betting into 3 other players when he has a rag board. At minimum he has a pair bigger than Ts, probably As, and maybe As up or trip 8s (and an outside chance of 8s and 2s). I also failed to think about what the other two players had. I'd guess str8 & flush draws, with maybe a baby pair. Basically I am in 3rd or 4th place in this hand. I was playing the hand as if I was heads up with the 3 seat instead of considering the big change in a multiway pot.

On 6th, my 5th st. call comes to bite me in the ass. I really want to raise to charge the draws the max if I am ahead, but I think there is a good chance that I will get 3 bet if I am behind and my full house cards are kind of dead. You know you have made a mistake earlier in the hand if you hit your best possible card and can't even raise.

On the river the the cap was basically an impulse bet (like raising my fist while drowning). I was thought, oh well i *hope* he has 8s full, and he can't reraise...might as well throw in an extra bet. The result of the hand is that the 3 seat had As up on 4th, and beat me with a full house.

All in all I played the hand pretty poorly...luckily I realized that I was playing like crap a few hands later when I 3 bet a guy who I was sure was slow playing either rolled 7s or a big wired pair when I hit trip 6s, and quit the game in frustration at my stupidity:-(

Thanks for the feedback,
Carlos
Old 12-18-2005, 10:21 PM

Haven't read any replies, haven't played any stud lately really [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

3rd is ok though folding would be fine in a lot of situations. If you thought the bring in was likely to call you could consider reraising (I wouldn't do this much but would rather raise here than on 4th in general).

4th I think diamonds are too dead for your raise to look very scary, and I would think that seat 8 is pretty likely to either have a hand which he will fold for 1 bet, or a hand that will call two bets (knowing that the game plays tricky and aggressive, people don't tend to let things go too easily in these situations). I don't like the raise.

5th I'd be tempted to just fold IF you hadn't made the pot pretty big. As is I think it's a call.

6th I'd raise right away to charge seat 8 who is probably drawing to SOMETHING, possibly even drawing dead or mostly dead, but is more likely to call a raise here than on the river. If you get three bet here I think I just call.

7th I'd raise once but not cap. The raise is a little better than it otherwise looks because the pot is a little bigger than normal, meaning people will call with slightly weaker hands. Still looks to me like you'd get more of seat 8s nearly dead money if you had raised on 6th (or maybe knocked out someone with outs).