Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 12-06-2005, 10:34 PM

Default Re: How to Win and Lose 40k in 2 weeks

I feel you. I lost around 2-3k one day on pacific, that was pretty gutwrenching. I'm really upset with myself that I let myself play that much since it's not really even that fun
Old 12-06-2005, 11:08 PM

Default a different view

obviously its bad because its taking money out of the poker economy, etc. but i think it may actually be helping me.

about 5 times a day i get the gambling itch. and by itch i mean massive uncontrollable compulsion. in the past what i would do is fire up my regular games and go at it for 10-15 minutes, and usually book a small winner. seemingly +ev, but not necessarily. the problem is im not always in the "working" state of mind when this happens. sometimes im hungry, sometimes im tired, sometimes im shitfaced. and like i said im usually in the mood to gamble it up.

if i get stuck fast the short session can turn into a long one, which can wind up being a long -ev one depending on the exact variables involved. but even if it doesnt it might end up throwing off my sleep or meals or studying, or whatever. which only hurts my playing in the long run.

but now instead of playing i load up bj and play $15 or whatever. which doesnt seem exciting but does the trick for me (so far). even though playing lower stakes poker doesnt. i think it has something to do with the speed of the action, rapid fire results/decisions instead of folding and waiting for half the table to time out.

so i avoid the bad sessions and play basically a breakeven game even considering my ridiculous double downs. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2005, 11:19 PM

Default Re: perfect strategy is not perfect

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
0.995 ^ 500 = .08 .... so after 500 hands you're expected to have only about 8% of your money left.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
That's 8% of your bet sizez. If you're betting $200 in chips ever deal and play 500 hands, in theory you should net -$184.

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys need to visit the probability forum.

At a 0.5% disadvantage, if he plays 500 hands, he "should" be down (500)(.005) = 2.5 bets. No exponents necessary.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not that good at math, but I know to never play against the house at anything.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How to Win and Lose 40k in two weeks.

I wasn't going to share this, but I think its very important that I do so that other people can avoid what I did.

So I regularly multitable the 30/60 on party, with a dabble of 50/100 in there for good measure. After taking a 4 month break due to work and personal commitments, I played at the 30/60, I typically super multitable and in just playing the evenings and weekends since I work all day, in about a week I made about 40k. I'd never gone up an upswing that much or that quickly ever.

And then something really horrible happened, just for fun being in a gambling spirit I played blackjack on party. $200 a hand . . At first it was harmless and I was going a little up and little down (and playing perfect basic strategy) till suddenly I was down 2k and was like . . Crap, I lost 2k in 30 minutes . . What was going through my head was, man it'll take a lot longer getting that 2k back in poker, I better keep going . . The next thing I knew I was 10k in the hole . . And in due time . . I lost it all on blackjack. Don't ask me how, but I lost 40k playing blackjack on party poker. I'm such an idiot, I never really thought I had a 'blackjack problem' but apprently I do because I couldn’t stop … I was trying to get out of this stupid hole. I haven't been able to get it out of my head, that monye would have done wonders and I'm basically going to be starting from scratch. I've been trying to make myself feel better by telling myself that it was all money that I had won and like it never happened, but I can't get it out of my head. Yes I know, moronic. Either way, blackjack has been removed from party so I don't even have the temptation. But I've been asking myself If I do have some sort of problem. It was never like this before, but I of course didn’t' have instant access to blackjack before either.

Guys, I know a lot of people have already said this but seriously, stay away from blackjack. Erase the image files!

[/ QUOTE ]

congratulations, you've manage to beat my record. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I'm not one to put blame on games being rigged but I swear there was a string of about 40 hands where the dealer won everytime pulling ridiculous [censored] out of his ass, all while I was betting the max. I nearly threw my monitor out the window.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:15 AM

With 40k, should have done a martingale starting at 5 bucks or so. Would have had a decent shot at winning.

I know martingale is -ev but I think the results woulda been better than you experienced.

Good luck to you rebuilding your roll dude.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:16 AM

Thanks . . thats the hardest part to handle is that i blew my bankroll and I litereally have to start from the bottom. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-07-2005, 03:01 AM

You'll get it back, and next time you're at 40k you will think about what happened and how glad you are you'll never do that again.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just wondering, do you think Party is legit? I played a few hands (not a great sample size) and watched dealer hit 19+ every hand. I understand BJ is -EV anyways, but wondering if Party - which is not regulated by the government, unlike Caesars etc - seems legit w/regard to BJ (not poker).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm usually not one to cry rigged myself but it does seem like a small possiblitly since I've seen the dealer hit unreal streaks of 20's and 21's for a hour straight, but then again why would they want to risk ruining their reputation. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I dunno....thats why I avoid it from now on
Old 12-07-2005, 04:59 AM

I don't think it's rigged... well aside from the unbeatable house edge and the fact that the BJ tables will get them a crapload more money... if you call THAT rigged then yes [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-07-2005, 07:33 AM

No offense ment to anyone involved in this thread, but this thread is a wonderful example of the different psychological problems that probability causes.

You guys repeatedly make statements that essentially boil down to "I know that this would be incorrect, but I'll do it anyway."

I don't blame you at all, as I do the same. It's very hard (maybe impossible) to actually understand probability fundamentally; the best possible response is just to view things in probability as a game in which you win every time you play correctly, and ignore the actual game you're playing, which is way more complicated and can't really be understood intuitively.