Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 11:04 AM

Default Continuation bet --> min raise

Hey all,

I am looking for some advice. Absent a very strong read, what is your default play for this...

SITUATION:
You are the preflop raiser with AQs, flop comes J-x-x with no major draws. You 2/3 pot it, he min-raises.

I feel like I am being blown off a few too many hands.

Thoughts?

jw
Old 11-30-2005, 11:09 AM

Default Re: Continuation bet --> min raise

i would fold here, you may have outs, but why not just wait for a better spot. If you have a read that villian is doing this with air, then a reraise could work, but other wise just fold.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:11 AM

yeah, just muck, unless of course the flop has 2 of your suit then you can jam your stack in.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:38 PM

I agree with he muck.

But it just seems like I am being pushed off hands (not that I have much of one) too often for a minraise.

jw
Old 11-30-2005, 01:39 PM

Then make fewer continuation bets.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:41 PM

If you're getting pushed off continuation bets too often, there are a few things you can do:

1) make less cb's (which i don't like)
2) raise less PF, so when you do cont. bet you get more respect
3) reraise someone who shows a history of minraising your continuation bets - show him that you aren't as weak-tight as he thinks.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:41 PM

Or use it to build big pots for when you actually hit a hand. Make a player note that they raise c-bets and then back off with less than ideal flop conditions.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:26 PM

Nice guys.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

jw
Old 11-30-2005, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey all,

Absent a very strong read, what is your default play for this...

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the best pieces of advice I've gotton from 2+2 is to assume all Party players have the goods when they make a bet. They are all tight nits. Noone ever bluff. Continue to assume this until a players shows you that he is capable of something different. Make notes.

Continue to study the CB. You should only be making a CB approx. 78% of the time. In the example you give you failed to mention position, which is the key to this decision. If you are last to act and the pot is checked around to you a CB would be in order with this flop, and fold to a check-raise. In first position with several players left to act I would check this flop and fold to a bet. When I 'm the PFR I always bring it in for the standard 4BB. That way I could have AA, or in the case of your example, AJ or JJ. So since I represented a hand pre-flop you don't know if I hit the flop or not.

Another tactic I employ is to check the flop if I'm OOP. Then I can fold with my dignity intact (I may have opened with AKs) or I can check-raise. Just because I checked doesn't mean I missed the flop. This is called "protecting your checks". Just IMHO.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:37 PM

I have no default here. It strongly depends on the opponent. If someone has been doing this to me 2 or 3 times in the last few orbits, then I'll 3/4 - full pot it just to see what happens.

You also need to examine how often you make continuation bets. He might realize that you are way out of line, and has found a cheap way to punish you.

If you have not been making too many of these, then you need to make a statement. You can't let a playewr think that he can mess with you, or it won't ever end. Push back with nothing or push back with something, or check-raise, or do something that scares him.

Most of the time, you want to fold in this situation, tho.