Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 03:35 PM

Default Re: southern style sides

[ QUOTE ]
My plan is to slow cook ribs for dinner tonight. I am planning to make cornbread as a side dish.

Any other suggestions for easy to make southern style side dishes?

[/ QUOTE ]
Thirty seven posts and no one has mentioned fried green tomatoes? Serve them with some homemade remoulade sauce.

On the other hand, check out the 'On the Side' section of the menu at one of the best rib restaurants in the country.
http://www.hogsfly.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=25
Old 10-19-2005, 03:37 PM

There's a real macho thing about BBQ places having next to nothing in the way of side dishes, for whatever reason. I say, if you're gonna serve friggin' nachos, I think you can go out on a limb and throw a corn cob on the grill.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:38 PM

corn bread

corn on the cob

collared greens

Brunswick Stew

Mac-n-cheese

Those are pretty much the staples of "southern" cooking that I've seen down here in Atlanta.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
sure, you can get ribs 'tender' by smoking them.. but you can't get them to fall off the bone... and I prefer my connective tissue to not be solid when I'm eating it.

Unless you're doing some other prep to the ribs - like using a brine or smoking them in some kind of sauce - then there's no way you can break down that connective tissue. Literally, when I'm done cooking ribs - they fall apart - I have a serious problem taking them from the oven to a plate - because it just falls apart.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're wrong, sir.

[/ QUOTE ]

why am I wrong?
Old 10-19-2005, 03:41 PM

oooo i cant BELIEVE i forgot brunswick stew!!!!!

and yes mac n cheese BUT only homemade...none of that box crap
Old 10-19-2005, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
sure, you can get ribs 'tender' by smoking them.. but you can't get them to fall off the bone... and I prefer my connective tissue to not be solid when I'm eating it.

Unless you're doing some other prep to the ribs - like using a brine or smoking them in some kind of sauce - then there's no way you can break down that connective tissue. Literally, when I'm done cooking ribs - they fall apart - I have a serious problem taking them from the oven to a plate - because it just falls apart.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're wrong, sir.

[/ QUOTE ]

why am I wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because what you said is not true. What part didn't you understand. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2005, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're wrong, sir.

[/ QUOTE ]

why am I wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because what you said is not true. What part didn't you understand. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

ah jake.. I understand that you're an expert in every field.. or at least have some nonsensical thing to say about everything. That's cool. I understand that there's some traditional, macho thing involved in smoking meat, to while away in front of a fire - outside. I understand that.

...and if you want to justify your macho-ness by saying that I'm wrong, and not pointing out any particular flaw in my logic - that's cool, too.

...but you won't be making better ribs than me.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:51 PM

Ok, there's only one way to settle this.

Jake, cook me some ribs.

G-Cheese, cook me some ribs.

After I've eaten both, I'll tell you which ones are better.

It's win win baby. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2005, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ah jake.. I understand that you're an expert in every field.. or at least have some nonsensical thing to say about everything. That's cool. I understand that there's some traditional, macho thing involved in smoking meat, to while away in front of a fire - outside. I understand that.

...and if you want to justify your macho-ness by saying that I'm wrong, and not pointing out any particular flaw in my logic - that's cool, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I'm not an expert in every field. I AM an expert in THIS field. As I said, I grew up in the BBQ bidness. I did point out the flaw prior to your post. The flaw is that if you can't get ribs tender by smoking them then you have no idea what you're doing.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I'm not an expert in every field. I AM an expert in THIS field. As I said, I grew up in the BBQ bidness. I did point out the flaw prior to your post. The flaw is that if you can't get ribs tender by smoking them then you have no idea what you're doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

...but most people don't have a nice, big smoker that can fit a slab of ribs in it, do they? My way, not only makes the meat incredibly tender, and deals with connective tissue - which I'm still not convinced that smoking does... but it's also something that anyone with an oven can do in their own homes. I'm not saying that you can't make good ribs by smoking them, I'm saying that *anyone* can make great ribs by following my simple advice.