Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2005, 03:10 PM

Default Re: A move I make more often than not. Leak, or standard play?

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder if anyone else feels this way?

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of people in the 50s now seem to be calling like they're some wierd mixture of Gus Hanson, Gigabet and some noob $5 player. To be honest my calling standards have dropped dramatically as well. I used to basically never call on the bubble without a monster but if people are pushing with any 2 then hell why not call? But some people are calling with like J high. K high is a monster calling hand now to some people. I'll obviously have to adjust my game, I think maybe loosening up at the earlier levels to try to build up a larger stack, I don't think you get much FE anymore unless you're putting them to a decision for their whole stack.

I have found it to be the perfect time to practise my 8 tabling down in the 20s which if anything seem to be tighter calling wise than they used to be.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To be honest my calling standards have dropped dramatically as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate to admit it, but I was in the BB and called a SB push with QTc the other day. We were level 5, I had t1300 and he had about t700.

He seemed like a good player, and anticipated he would be pushing with any 2. Sure enough it is folded to him, and he pushed. I called, and he showed KJs. (Not quite the 38o I had expected.)

I proceed to catch a Q, and bust him. "Thank God for people like you." he said. "QT? Stupid fish."

So was calling here a donk move? If I assume SB is a good player, and predict he will push with any 2 if folded to him, and sure enough, he pushes- is a call with QTc bad?

(QTc is a top 20% HU hand according to Harrington.)
Old 06-17-2005, 03:39 PM

You say you do this to accumulate chips?

However with this hand you dont want a call and are thus just trying to steal the blinds.

Dont see the correlation between your intent and the way you play in this spot.

Edited to add, when I read accumulate chips I read DOUBLE UP.

Whith your stack and the blinds about to go 100/200 you need to do this soon.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

t150 would add 15%+ to my stack.

Maybe I don't understand your question?
Old 06-17-2005, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think image and read are the important issue here. I think the important issue is when the blinds go up to 100/200.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently this advice is now osbolete

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Under the new structure I would definitely fold this and do it on the next level instead.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I think all this talk about play tightening up is way off. I've been noticing for weeks that guys are calling (especially SB open pushes into BB) with all kinds of stuff. I think when pushed into from the SB, alot of these BBs view it as an attack on their manhood or something...

[/ QUOTE ]

Something I have not seen discussed- Doesn't this really throw a wrench in the "any 2 will do" mantra?

I mean, "push with any 2, and get called by any 2" doesn't seem to be ideal to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad to see you questioning this.

If I were BB I would not see the push as a challenge to my manhood, but it would lower my calling requirements as compared to a raise equal to about half of SB's stack. The push says "I don't want you to call me," and that encourages me (as BB) to call. The smaller raise says "I want to be called" so, unless I have a big pair, I fold.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:09 PM

"I proceed to catch a Q, and bust him. "Thank God for people like you." he said. "QT? Stupid fish." "

There is a classic article around here somewhere about the theory of stealing blinds--you probably know the one I'm talking about. The author would not call you names.

People like this guy need to look at themselves before they open their yaps.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

t150 would add 15%+ to my stack.

Maybe I don't understand your question?

[/ QUOTE ]

So going into BB200 with 900 or 1050 makes a big difference, not according to the new theory on the block, which is convienetly called Block theory. Also how much has this improved your fold equity?

You think you have a leak, I think you are just thinking about it the wrong way.

The inevitable fact is that you need confrontation soon to accumulate the chips necessary for end phase play.

Which either means you have to call a hand or raise and be called. When you are raising 45s, I assume you are looking to avoid confrontation and improve your stack the said 15%, as I said thats fine, however It just seemed to me from your original post that you were confusing stealing a blind with looking for a spot to double up which is improving your stack size by an actualy meaningfull 100%.

Of course if you steal enough then you can steal survive to the bubble and then probably ITM if things swing your way. I just wasnt looking at your post in this light as you mentioned that you liked to have a big stack come bubble time.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Just so I understand what you are saying here... Do you mean that a push from the button is more likely to make the BB fold? IE- It looks less like a steal than a push from the SB?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do this all the time when the BB is getting testy about blind stealing. A few games ago I was in a MTT with a BB who spitereraised me once or twice. I just started folding my SB and doing the exact same thing from the button...he had no complaints about it and never called me from the button.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It just seemed to me from your original post that you were confusing stealing a blind with looking for a spot to double up which is improving your stack size by an actualy meaningfull 100%.

[/ QUOTE ]

But here is the thing: the chips I gain now will be TWICE AS MANY when I double through. IE- There is a snowball effect.

I am interested in adding ANY chips I can, for that reason.

Does that make any sense? It's hard to put into words.