Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 05-29-2005, 02:35 PM

Default PT 20K Hand Stat Check-Up

Hello everybody. A little bit of backround about myself. I started playing poker online a year ago, and only started taking myself really seriously in January, after reading SSHE. Since then I have enjoyed the ups and downs of online poker and just recently purchased pokertracker to help me keep track of my stats, my opponents stats, etc.

I would like for you guys to take a look at some of my stats and tell me if there are any glaring leaks that I should be looking to plug up. Any and all input is GREATLY appreciated.

Over 19,500 hands:
VPIP - 20.09
VPIP from small blind - 29.92
Folded SB to steal - 83.44
Folded BB to steal - 69.79
Folded BB to steal HU - 68.50
Attempt to Steal Blinds - 26.38
Went to Showdown - 28.95
Won at Showdown - 58.38
Raised Preflop - 9.85
Aggression factor on flop - 2.5
Aggression factor on turn - 3.11
Aggression factor on river - 2.17
Overall aggression factor - 2.59

If there are any other important stats I should post to give you guys a better idea of how I'm really doing, please let me know.

I'm wondering if I'm too aggressive in general here. I seem to run myself into a lot of check raises and that sort of thing. What are some good numbers to shoot for?

I'm also curious how to most optimally use pokertracker for keeping track of how my opponents play. I've been through the tutorials and stuff, but I can't find it. Maybe I'm just stupid. I have experimented with using Gametime as of late, and that works pretty well. I was just curious if there is any better way to have all of your opponent's stats at the tip of your fingers for practical use during play. I've tried searching my database for a villian if I'm in a specific hand with him, but this seems somewhat tedious. Is there a better way, something simple that I'm missing?

Once again, I appreciate any and all input. Oh yeah, try to guess my winrate.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:44 PM

Default Re: PT 20K Hand Stat Check-Up

linky von link-a-lot
Old 05-29-2005, 02:48 PM

Don't read that thread OP. It will make you listen to bad music.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:50 PM

OP... I've you've come here for poker advice, its a great move.

But, you can actually block istewart's posts, and still receive EXACTLY the same amount of poker advice.

He brings nothing to the table.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:00 PM

Ishmael. Thanks for the link! That is quite a post there. Now my question is, since it seems like I'm on target with most of your average values, why my winrate is an abysmal .32BB/100 Hands. Granted, this COULD be a sample size issue, but I'm not sure. Something just doesn't feel right about that. Again, if you could offer me any specific advice about my stats, I will buy you an ice cream cone.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:07 PM

Basically, stats are good for major leaks.

If you are losing 1.2 BB/100, then stats would be very helpful. Because, you have major leaks.

But, somone winning at only 0.32BB/100 doesnt necessarily have any major statistical leaks.

They might have a solid, VPIP, but:

1) They might be VPIPing at the wrong times
2) They might not yet have the post flop skills to VPIP 18-20% of the time at a profit.

Long story short, the best thing you can do is post. Read a thread. Post some advice (posting advice is a better way to learn than posting your own hands). Get flamed (you will. dont take it personally. that is just how it works). Eventually, you will be the one giving the flameage.

And the cycle continues...
Old 05-29-2005, 04:11 PM

could you use your stats to find 1SD(or whatever) ranges of the bet/raise/.. stats? Would this be helpful for plugging leaks?
Old 05-29-2005, 04:15 PM

sorry, i was asking ishmael.
Old 05-29-2005, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
could you use your stats to find 1SD(or whatever) ranges of the bet/raise/.. stats?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. At this point I plan to redo the whole stats thing when I go back to school (late August). People have asked about these stats multiple times, so I will probably include them.

[ QUOTE ]
Would this be helpful for plugging leaks?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is debatable.

These stats are "second level".

What I mean by that, is that they are affected by other stats.

For example, if you assume that two players play equally postflop, then they have, by definition, the same optimal VPIP.

But... for two players to have the same optimal flop bet/raise/call/fold numbers, you have to make two assumptions:

-these players play equally well on the turn/river
-these players have the same VPIP/PFR

Optimal postflop numbers differ for different preflop playing styles.

So, to really get a good idea on what someone "should" be seeing in those numbers, you need to sub-classify all the data, into categories like:

VPIP 14-16, PFR 6-8
VPIP 14-16, PFR 8-10... and so on.

And, Im just not going to get that much data.

So.. though it might be nice to see that data, Im not sure how useful it would be. Though, it might also allow people who are WAY away from the range, to plug some leaks.