Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2005, 08:47 PM

Default Criticise this $5/$10 hand for me

Playing $5/$10 Limit Hold'em not so long ago when this hand comes up.

I'm dealt A-Q offsuit two off the button. Everyone folds to me, and I raise. The button (a loose, aggressive player) reraises and the blinds fold. I call.

There is $37.50 in the pot and I'm heads up out of position against an aggressive and unpredictable player. Not good!

The flop comes Q-5-2 offsuit. Now I'm feeling better about my hand. I check, he bets, and I raise. Now he scares the crap out of me by reraising...

At this point I'm not sure how he can have a much better hand.. pocket aces, kings, and queens I suppose but it's pretty unlikely that he has those hands (especially queens). However, from what I've observed of this player, he probably doesn't have any of these hands. If he did, he would wait to raise on the turn when the bet doubled.

What about a set of fives or deuces? Neither of these hands are legitimate three betting hands before the flop, and my opponent isn't that crazy.

In my opinion his most likely hand is something like K-Qs, Q-Js, or even the same hand as me. It would make some sense to reraise me preflop with these hands (I still don't like it though), since he does have position and doing so would most likely get the pot heads up.

There's $62.50 in the pot and it costs me $5 to call. Even if he does have pocket kings I should call here, and I do.

Now there's $67.50 in the pot and the turn comes a 7. I'm pretty convinced I have the best hand but since there are no draws on the board, I've got to wonder what he has to raise me with. I decide to relinquish the initiative and check-call him down. He bets the turn and I call.

There's $87.50 in the pot, and fifth street is a 9. I check, he bets, and I call.

He flips over Q-7 offsuit and drags the pot.

I'm not whining about being beaten - quite frankly I love it when people get so far out of line, especially in the bigger games. Out of interest though, would anybody have played the hand differently, and could anyone put him on the hand he had? I've had interesting responses when I've asked this elsewhere, but the 2+2 forum is renowned for being a good source of expert information.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:54 PM

Default Re: Criticise this $5/$10 hand for me

I put him on Q7o right about here:

[ QUOTE ]

He flips over Q-7 offsuit and drags the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I probably lead the turn and if he raises that I probably give some thought to him have a Q and hitting his kicker or some other wild two pair.

From what u described he doesnt seem to be a totally nut post flop, so I give him credit for having something.

I check/call the river.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:55 PM

If he is truly LAG, cap preflop, bet/3-bet the flop, lead the turn, and then call down against further aggression.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he is truly LAG, cap preflop, bet/3-bet the flop, lead the turn, and then call down against further aggression.

[/ QUOTE ]

Crap I missed the order of the flop action, seriously, u definitly need to bet/3-bet this flop. I thought he bet, u raised, he 3-bet -- do not check here what so ever.

Heres what I do (going with your read of opponent):

1. PreFlop: Cap
2.Flop: bet then 3-bet.
3.Lead turn, if he raises call down the river.