Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2005, 03:34 PM

Default 14k Checkup......Comments Please

I have 14.5k hands logged in my PT database most of which were logged at 1-2 but I've been trying to transition to 2-4 since about 10K. This is the first time posting stats so I'm not sure which stats are the most useful.

Would really appreciate any feedback as my BB/100 has taken a nose dive since I started playing 2-4. I've compared my current stats to those from before I started playing 2-4 and they are very close so I have not altered my play at all.

VP$IP - 19.06%
VP$SB - 37.15%

Saw Flop - 24.39%
SF not in B - 16.10%

Folded SB To Steal- 77.42%
Folded BB To Steal - 60.32%
Folded BB To Steal HU - 51.28%

Att. Steal - 21.02%

W$WSF - 29.54%
WTSD - 26.09%
W$SD - 56.34

Raised PF - 6.47%

Aggression - 1.15

Thanks,

Bubbagump
Old 04-30-2005, 05:55 PM

Default Re: 14k Checkup......Comments Please

I knew the answer before I even got to the stat. You're not playing aggressively enough (this is a very common problem for players moving up from 1/2 to 2/4). [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Your VPIP is very good, right around the sweet spot for small stakes. VPIP from SB is also good; maybe a point or 2 high, but that's easily attributable to good table selection.

You should just now be starting to pay attention to your blind steal/defense numbers, so I like the fact that you included them in this post. On 1/2 (possible exception of 6-max) there just isn't a whole lot of blind stealing going on, so you really don't have to worry much about it. 2/4 isn't all that aggressive in this area either, but starting with 3/6 you will need to know what you're doing, so it's a good idea to start working on it now. As of right now, you're folding too often to steal attempts when you're in the blinds, and not attempting to steal them nearly enough; however, since most of your numbers are from 1/2, that doesn't mean a whole lot. You should be defending your BB around 40-50% of the time, probably towards the lower end of that span. So folding 60% of the time is not terribly far off of what it should be. As far as SB defense, I'm really not good at that so I won't try to comment. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Your attempt to steal blinds should be in the 25-30% range for 2/4, a bit more than that as you continue to move up.

Okay, the next three numbers...your W$WSF is about 7-8% low of where it should be, most likely a direct result of your WTSD also being 8-10% off. You are folding too many hands postflop, be they weak draws, weak made hands, etc. In addition to the obvious pot odds calculations, determining when your hand is good enough to continue is a skill that comes with experience...if you're not doing so already, post some of your hands where you have a difficult flop or turn situation, and see what the forums have to say about it. By folding too many hands postflop, you are costing yourself money. By folding this many extra hands, you are costing yourself a pretty good chunk of money.

You aren't raising quite enough preflop, but your current percentage is very healthy for where you are in your skill progression. You want to get this number up to around 8-9%, but you're going to struggle to do so at first; not to worry, this is again something that will come with time both at the table and on these forums. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The aggression level...it would be helpful if you also broke it down by street, but 1.15 is too low (especially if you're not including preflop--I'm assuming you are). You need to be raising a lot with vulnerable made hands, or even strong draws. Not including preflop, your AF should be at least 2.0, preferably closer to 3.

I know it sounds like a lot of problems, but honestly, your stats look exactly like I'd expect a player's to look like when just starting the move from 1/2 to 2/4. You're right on track so far. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-30-2005, 06:01 PM

Most look okay. Get more aggressive.

Your WTSD is too low and your W$@SD is too high (but not much).

As to your BB/100, your sample size is too small.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:54 AM

Thanks both of you for taking the time to check my stats. Your comments were very insightful and will go a long way to helping me move up.

Bubbagump
Old 05-01-2005, 12:41 PM

This is a good thread. I'm currently playing 2/4 myself and have some comments.

Harv - where exactly is the 'sweet spot' for low limits? My VPIP is currently 18.18% for 2/4. Slightly less than Bubba's but maybe a tad to tight?

My WTSD is currently 26.93% which is real damn close to Bubba's. However, my W$WSF is 35.07% which is pretty close to the to the area you mentioned for it. I think one of Bubba's issues is agression. My agression factor for for flop, turn, and river is 4.02 (is this too high, I think it might be). I think what is happening is that I am taking a lot of pots w/o a showdown so my WTSD % is low? Does that make sense?