Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-22-2005, 07:32 PM

Default Strange line that everyone hates

OK, just about everyone hates this line. Ive never done it before, but somehow it still feels semi-OK. If I get blasted here, I wont try it again. I probably wont anyway.

$1/#2 NL 6 max
2 limpers (who arent very good), Button raises to $8
I call in the SB with AQ. I normally just fold here but wanted to get in a hand against these fools. I know I shouldve reraised if I wanted to play, but lets ignore that and get to the weird part. Both limpers call.

Pot is $32. They all have around $170 and I have them all covered.

Flop Q73 with 2 of a suit. I check, 1st limper checks, next limpers fires out $28 into the raiser. Preflop raiser folds. This guy who bet $28 and really bad. He calls too much, he raises when he shouldnt. hes just bad and theres really no way of knowing what he has.

I call and then the other limper calls. At this point Im almost certain he has a flush draw. I wasnt expecting him to call.

Pot $120. Turn is another 7 and I push in. (theres the strange part). Blast away.

I think the first limper has a flush draw and the 2nd limper who bet the $28 is bad enough to call my all in with QJ type hand.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Strange line that everyone hates

is he bad enough to bet a second time with QJ? if not, i think a push is fine, as its just above pot anyways, but if he is definitely going to fire again, c/r all-in
Old 12-22-2005, 08:24 PM

position be damned, I'm reraising AQ in the SB and firing a cbet against your average player. How terrible is this?
Old 12-22-2005, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
position be damned, I'm reraising AQ in the SB and firing a cbet against your average player. How terrible is this?

[/ QUOTE ]

As a standard line? Moderately to very I'd say.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:34 PM

I was hoping for an explanation.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:41 PM

This is 6 max. The buytton raise 2 limpers. he doesnt have to have a big hand. Reraising with AQ isnt moderately to very terrible.

Normally, I reraise or fold in that spot.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:52 PM

I think calling is by far the absolute worst option - reraise or fold.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:23 PM

I'm just a pitiful SSNLer trying to learn here - it would be helpful if you guys explained why you take the line of your choice.

Folding seems weak to me; AQo beats almost all of the hands button will position raise with. Calling seems OK but gives up initiative, which is bad because we are OOP. Raising seems best to me because we likely have the best hand, and there's a good chance of taking down all the dead money.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:31 PM

The reason is playing large parts out of position sucks. AQ isn't that great of hand. You need to make this at least 30 if you raise, good chance you get at least one caller if not two. You are going to miss the flop 1/3 of the time and blindly throw a continuation bet of 50-75 in effort to take it down.

You will never get away from AK raising AQ out of position either if you hit your ace.

I would rather raise junk from the Button than AQ from the SB. AS most of the time AQ is worth as much as junk after the flop so you might as well be bluff/continuation betting with position.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:21 PM

If I reraise to $30, Im not going to get 2 callers hardly ever, and probably not getting 1 caller more than 15% of the time.

At least in the games Im play.