Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 10:15 PM

Default Re: If There Is No God

david has taken a very rational position here. he is pretty dangerous to mess about. i think the way for his opponents to go is to make a case for examining the nature of belief. my 1/2 cent.....b
Old 10-12-2005, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As I said before I doubt the existence of absolute morality but its nothing to do with the idea that in the end nothing matters.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your writing style is turning Sklansky-esque. In other words - why didn't you just say that, chez? (Btw, take out the words "in the end" and I agree with you.)

Anyway, I think we might have hit on something along the way. Help me prove that "love" is a moral Absolute. (In the idealized usage of the word love.)
Old 10-12-2005, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This would suggest that there is a sort of "morality module" in the brain that is activated at an early age. Evidence from neuroscience would back this up, to a degree. In my last book, The Human Mind, I noted that certain brain areas become activated when we engage in cooperation with others, and that these areas are associated with feelings of pleasure and reward. It also seems that certain areas of the brain are brought into action in situations where we feel empathy and forgiveness.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If there is a “morality gene” or something similar then would not that suggest that it can’t be absolute. That it too evolves?

[/ QUOTE ]

Could be. But its obvious that morality is related to pain/pleasure and cooperation so it would be surprising if those areas of the brain weren't involved.

No doubt there could be maths genes as well but they cant make any difference to whether maths its objective or not.

chez
Old 10-12-2005, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As I said before I doubt the existence of absolute morality but its nothing to do with the idea that in the end nothing matters.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your writing style is turning Sklansky-esque. In other words - why didn't you just say that, chez? (Btw, take out the words "in the end" and I agree with you.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I said it, last post on page 5 of this thread. I've also said it in previous threads, lord knows where.

chez
Old 10-12-2005, 10:34 PM

I am out of my league when discussing genes, chez. But, I can certainly see a gene that relates to our understanding of math, but not a gene that gives maths its exsitence.

Anyway, I am calling in my marker. (The favor when I helped you edit.) Help me prove love. Just kidding, buddy. I don't hold markers for helping friends. And I don't think we can prove love. Was just a brief moment of hope was all.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am out of my league when discussing genes, chez. But, I can certainly see a gene that relates to our understanding of math, but not a gene that gives maths its exsitence.

Anyway, I am calling in my marker. (The favor when I helped you edit.) Help me prove love. Just kidding, buddy. I don't hold markers for helping friends. And I don't think we can prove love. Was just a brief moment of hope was all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay plan to prove love. Define love for someone as when we care more about their well-being than our own. Develop neuroscience to the point we can measure how much we care about something. voila.

chez
Old 10-12-2005, 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Man created/invented math. Man did not discover Math. It does not exist on its own. Math is merely a language (like Spanish) we use to describe the universe. Perhaps, math can exist without God. It does not exist without man though.

[/ QUOTE ]

So take humans out of the picture or universe entirely. Gorilla A, eating two bananas, still eats twice as much food as Gorilla B eating one banana (assuming similar bananas of course). Gorilla C, eating 3 bananas, eats 150% as much as Gorilla A and 200% as much as Gorilla B. These are simple examples of mathematical truths existing independently of humans or human thought.

[ QUOTE ]
Likewise, man can create/invent morality. Man can even create a morality perfect enough that all can agree to and live by. (I doubt if all can ever live by it always, if happens then you got utopia on earth is about it.) This invention of the method to achieve utopia is not Absolute Morality. It is simply a morality that would be agreed to unanimously.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps humans can invent morality, or perhaps it exists on its own and humans can only perceive it--as mathematical truths exist independently of humans.

[ QUOTE ]
Discover Absolute Morality (as opposed to invent a perfect moral system) and you either discover God or you discover the reason for the Universe (to me you probably do both simultaneously).

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting assertion, but unconvincing.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Me and Not Ready say that if there are absolute morals then there must be a God.

[/ QUOTE ]

That can only be if the question is being begged and the unstated definition of absolute morals = those that come from god. It's not hard to think of other reasons for absolute morals if the right half of the equation is left open. (not that I see any evidence that there are any)

luckyme..
.. if I thought I was wrong, I'd change my mind
Old 10-13-2005, 08:20 AM

Default Why ?

Your logic is confined within crass materialism.

[ QUOTE ]
When we don't murder in situations where we could gain from it, it is either
because our well developed brains realize that in the long run we will get less, rather than more chemical pleasure due to the possibility of getting caught, or
because there is instant chemical displeasure in the form of disgust, that was a product of molecular evolution in the past, where those who lacked this disgust did not pass on their genes.
Period.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are watching a film. The main character is murdered. The main character is an old illiterate woman in Tibuktu. (In other words, someone as far away from your situation, as posible.)

You feel awe and regret.

Why ?

(Responses that involve the film maker's technique are legitimate but can only be part of the correct answer.)
Old 10-13-2005, 09:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not hard to think of other reasons for absolute morals if the right half of the equation is left open.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is hard for me. I can’t think of any. Have any examples in mind?