Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2005, 07:29 PM

Default Why didnt I bet?

10-20 full table (pretty loose game)

4 to the flop Hero is BB with KQo

Flop is Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
SB checks, Hero checks, hopeing to c/r?, CO check, Button check.

Turn 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB checks, Hero checks, CO bet, Button call, SBfold, Hero Calls.

River A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero Checks, CO checks, Button Bets, Hero Folds, CO calls.

The reason I didnt start out betting from the flop is because the board floped so neatly. I knew that anyone with a J or [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] draw is calling my one bet. I figured if someone bet out in late position I could make it 3 bets to the fishers.
After that didnt work out and the 7 fell on the turn the pot was two small for me to push it anymore and risk the reraise.
Am I way off in my thinking? Would anyone fold the turn bet?
Old 05-27-2005, 07:46 PM

Default Re: Why didnt I bet?

Bet the turn, and fold (to most players) when raised.
You bet because you probably have the best hand, to protect your hand, and to gain information. Check calling does none of these.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:50 PM

Sure, there are a lot of bad cards that can hit on the turn, but there are a lot of good cards too. Also, no one raised before the flop, so don't expect that someone will automatically bet for you. On the turn you must bet.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would anyone fold the turn bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I play small to medium/small stakes (5/10) so I am no pro, however I sometimes read this forum and like to pick up a thing or two from the masters.

Having said that, can someone please explain to me why on earth anyone would fold the turn with top pair 2nd best kicker for 1 bet when no-one has showed strength? Am I missing something obvious?
Old 05-27-2005, 09:33 PM

What are you doing?

Your flop check is fine. Once it gets checked through though, you should bet the turn. Once you check and it's bet, you should check-raise. Once you fail to do that, you should call the river. You have way underrepresented your hand, players will value bet worse hands than what you have.

Good luck.
Eric
Old 05-27-2005, 10:23 PM

Thanks Eric, it seems like the general thought is that I should have raised the turn. To weak passive of me.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:29 PM

well why I question a call is simply this:

Most of the two plus two authors dont think calling is right in the first place, I either have a raising hand or a folding hand. (in this case I obviously should have raised)

Secondly I look at the pot and dont see much worth fighting for.(small pot) I could be up against a made straight and a drawing to the nut flush. Do I really want to get pot committed to a hand that may already be dead and if not dead holding on by a finger tip?

After thinking about all this I should have raised the trun to gain info at least, but then I may be giving the correct pot odds for someone to chase the flush...
Old 05-27-2005, 10:35 PM

Ok, I fully understand the concept of playing extremely tightly in small pots, but I just can't believe that routinely folding top pair (even in small pots) just because someone bet on a semi-coordinated board after no-one showed strength is right. Where do you draw the line with situations like these?

EDIT: Ok, I think I might have misunderstood. Are you saying that the answer to your question is indeed to not fold and it was simply asking to make sure? How close is it? From your OP I got the impression you thought it was quite close.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Secondly I look at the pot and dont see much worth fighting for.(small pot) I could be up against a made straight and a drawing to the nut flush. Do I really want to get pot committed to a hand that may already be dead and if not dead holding on by a finger tip?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is limit holdem right? Why are you concerned about being pot committed? You probably have the best hand. You may get outdrawn but you can't be seeing monsters under the bed. Start thinking like this: These guys are all donks, nobody has a better queen or they woulda raised. Therefore I need to bet and let them chase.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:47 PM

You didn't bet because you aren't a good player. Fold to the turn bet? Christ almighty.
-James