Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-23-2005, 02:26 AM

Default Re: Strange line that everyone hates

[ QUOTE ]
Folding seems weak to me; AQo beats almost all of the hands button will position raise with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhh, I would think that AQ is behind almost all of the hands that a typical player will raise two limpers with. Unless the button is a lunatic you're rarely going to have any significant edge in pot equity against his range, and you're out of position with a hand that has absolutely no implied odds.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason is playing large parts out of position sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]
Which position do you prefer to be in when you're playing with large parts?
Old 12-23-2005, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I reraise to $30, Im not going to get 2 callers hardly ever, and probably not getting 1 caller more than 15% of the time.

At least in the games Im play.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is also my experience and the whole basis behind the line I advocate.

[ QUOTE ]
Uhh, I would think that AQ is behind almost all of the hands that a typical player will raise two limpers with

[/ QUOTE ]

Edit: the following is my current 5-max guidelines, thats pretty relevant
I will raise with A6o+ and KTo+ on the button with 2 limpers just to steal, unless the limpers are known strong players. Maybe I'm atypical?

[ QUOTE ]
Playing large pots out of position sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hopefully I'll take it down right there; if not, 50% chance of taking it down with a cbet. If I'm called I can check/fold. If the flop comes Qxx no draws and the cbet is called, then I'm prepared to make some tough decisions.

[ QUOTE ]
You need to make this at least 25 if you raise, good chance you get at least one caller if not two. You are going to miss the flop 1/3 of the time and blindly throw a continuation bet of 35 in effort to take it down.

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP. Or maybe my raises are too weak, but at the stakes I play, they work just fine. I guess this is where the difference in stakes is relevant. Regardless, in my experience, I take it down 2/3 of the time (if I miss but villain also misses it's usually mine).
Old 12-23-2005, 02:55 AM

Raising limpers with A6o is spewing.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:13 AM

i prefer to accomplish my spewing into a field of limpers with cute suited/sgapped connectors and group 1-2.6
Old 12-23-2005, 03:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Uhh, I would think that AQ is behind almost all of the hands that a typical player will raise two limpers with. Unless the button is a lunatic you're rarely going to have any significant edge in pot equity against his range, and you're out of position with a hand that has absolutely no implied odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

It really depends on the player. If he's a loose raiser and will call a lot of the time, reraising AQ is bad because you bloat the pot and are out of position with no pair. If he's a 2+2-style TAG, reraising AQ is good, because you'll take it down preflop most of the time and on the flop a good amount of the time as well, not to mention the times you actually hit a hand and get action. In a 6-max game, AQ is a premium hand. I'll raise tons of hands from the button after limpers: suited Ace, suited Broadways, suited connectors, pairs, AK/AQ. AQ has great equity against a range like that.

Edit: I should probably clarify that a bit. I'll raise with a lot of hands if the table texture is such that I take it down preflop or with a flop c-bet a lot of the time. Against calling stations, I don't like to raise hands like 22 and A3s from the button. AQ has huge equity against a button raiser some of the time, and very little some of the time. You have to judge the way the table is playing.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:22 AM

why not just lead flop?
Old 12-23-2005, 04:47 AM

I agree with leading the flop... What would your lines be if you had 88 preflop in the SB instead of AQo.. Would you be more apt to raise and fold to a re-raise? Or call for set odds?
Old 12-23-2005, 04:49 AM

I hate this line unless the villain is stupid enough to call this hand with QJ, KQ, etc... It's very likely that he was donkish enough to have a 7 on the flop and he'll look you up instantly if he's beating you.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:04 PM

I did say that he was bad enough to call my all in with QJ. Thats the whole point. He probably doesnt have a 7.
He'll call with a decent Q and if I let him bet his possible decent Q, then the other guy might still call with a flush draw even if I check raise all in because the pot will be HUGE. I guess thats not horribe for me since he will miss most times, but still, the pot is big enough now to just open push and take it down....or have the KQ / QJ dominated.