Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-20-2005, 02:02 AM

Default Re: Fold bottom set here?.....

pushhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 12-20-2005, 02:06 AM

There is no such thing as a clear fold with a set on this type flop.

I play for my stack here with no regrets.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But we don't know what he's on yet, so isn't it in our best interests to keep the pot as low as possible until we can figure that out?

Not telling, I'm asking.

[/ QUOTE ]

In your last post, you put him on a range of hands. I think that that range was too narrow (4d5d, Ad3d, KQ, ect), but I think we are way ahead of his range here. He should push here, especially with the effective stack sizes. At the very least he should call here, but that could allow a big draw to get away from his hand cheap.

For the record, the hero made similar weak-tight lay downs like this before, then the villian made a great play if he had a flush draw.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:16 AM

Calling off half your stack on the flop with any plans of folding the turn is terrible.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:16 AM

You said the villain is a very good, someone who is very good is not a nitty nut-peddler, so play for your stack.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:49 AM

Sorry for the confusion.

When I said very good, I was just saying he wasn't REALLY bad like most of the players that were at the table. He seemed to be playing very tight/agg and had shown down big hands each time. At the time this hand took place and as tight as he had been playing, that's the reason I just automatically felt that he had to have the set here since I couldn't see him making this play with any other hand. I hadn't put in a raise like this so far that he'd seen which is why for him to reraise here I felt he had to be very confident in his hand. I didn't think he'd want to continue pumping the pot on just a flush draw when I hadn't given him a reason to think i'm not very strong here.

Looking back now i'm thinking a push is a possible option. At the time though I just felt very strongly he definitely was not doing this without the set of 3s given how i'd seen him play. It would be like imagining the table rock at the table reraising you in this spot.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, I didn't know what was considered small or medium stakes, I usually play 200 or 400 nl but dropped to try and plug leaks.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are making this fold on a regular basis.. it's a big [censored] leak.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:56 AM

I rarely ever fold bottom set like this which is the reason I posted this. I was just wondering if based on the read in this hand if this was an exception in which it was correct.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:40 AM

I have no problem dumping bottom set in a limped pot, if conditions are right. Usually that means pot being jammed by two players at least one of whom is competent in front of me, or if board is extremely scary. Here, you probably have to payee thayt mayn.