Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-19-2005, 09:33 AM

Default QJ makes nutstraight on the turn with two spades on the board

I'm in the game because of the BB, he is extremely loose and can also misplace aggression. He is the reason I limped QJo UTG, I wanted to be in as many pots as possible with him. The two guys on my left are both pretty loose, atleast preflop, but they can move you off hands too so I didn't want to raise the QJo to isolate the BB because one of the guys on my left would probably call my preflop raise and I would be in a bad spot

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (6 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Button ($176)
SB ($176)
BB ($297.10)
Hero ($239.65)
MP ($381.45)
CO ($305.70)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Hero calls $2, MP calls $2, CO calls $2, Button calls $2, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB checks.

Flop: ($11) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, MP checks, CO checks, Button checks.

Turn: ($11) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, MP calls $10, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $30</font>, Button folds, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $80</font>, MP calls $70, CO calls $50.

River: ($251) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $157.65 (All-In)</font>

Final Pot: $708.10

On the turn I didnt want to shut down everthing except QJ so I donked it with a little less than potsized raise. My reasoning at the time went along the lines that draws to FH and flush still wasn't getting the odds. Now.. when both called the turn raise the pot was pretty huge on the river. I decided that if I'm going to pay off a flush (And by that meaning I have given a FD implied odds on the turn once again!) I might aswell bet allin instead and maybe get paid off by a lesser straight or two pair/set.

Who checks the river and folds to a bet?
Old 12-19-2005, 10:25 AM

Default Re: QJ makes nutstraight on the turn with two spades on the board

I'm definitely checking the river. When both of them call your turn reraise, I'm thinking one of them is on the FD. I'd check the river and see what happens. If the one guy bets strong and the other raises/calls, you can probably get away.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On the turn I didnt want to shut down everthing except QJ so I donked it with a little less than potsized raise.

[/ QUOTE ]
"donked" = yes, "little less than potsized raise" = no. You raised $50 more into two players and an $81 pot. Just push it in there, people make terrible calls all the time and you sure as hell don't want to play guessing games when one of the 7.3 million scare cards come on the river. You need to raise more and any larger raise makes the river decision on a scare card difficult even if only one player calls it.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:46 AM

I needed to hear that. About the bet on the turn I thought the raise was to 20 from second villain, so that the re-raise would be 60 to him.. No excuse, I know.

As played do you check-fold the river?
Old 12-19-2005, 10:47 AM

If one of them bets, but only 100$, do you call?
Old 12-19-2005, 10:47 AM

No, I push the river and hope they both had sets or JT or whatever, but I try real hard to never put myself in that position.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:57 AM

I think your raise on the turn is good for the reasons you stated. If they were on the draw, then they took bad odds to catch their card.

Also, I favor a check on this river. With both the str8 and flush out there, I think that your river push after strong turn play will fold out many 2-pair or set-type hands (esp since it sounds like your opponents are compitent). Checking may induce a bluff from these hands, and if you are beaten, then you have the chance to either get away from the hand or pay less then the rest of your stack to see a showdown.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:02 AM

Can't name the times I made the same mistake on a turn like this, don't get cute, just push it in. There are about 17-18 cards you don't see on the river as a paired board or spade either trumps your hand or ruins your action from two pair or a sucker straight.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think your raise on the turn is good for the reasons you stated. If they were on the draw, then they took bad odds to catch their card.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not if their implied odds are there which, based on hero's river play, they certainly were. If you know you are not getting away from the hand, you need to include that consideration when you're setting the price for your opponents to see the next card. That's why I'd just push the turn-- I'm not getting away and the stack sizes are too awkward for any other bet size.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:13 AM

Yes, spot on.

Btw, I edited away the other players action but forgot to remove "Final pot" [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
The answer is yes...