Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 11-12-2005, 09:39 AM

Default Under pressure with JJ - good fold?

Villain is MP2 - 14/11/2.4

A known 2 plus 2 er

He knows I am on tilt as I am in the middle of my first 250BB downswing and he's sympathising as I just got hit by a 900/1 loss!

I dont like my preflop call. Any other comments?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (10.40 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (8.20 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 9.20 BB
Old 11-12-2005, 10:04 AM

Default Re: Under pressure with JJ - good fold?

To me, the critical information here is the read on UTG+1. If UTG+1 is someone who raises light and that MP2 might have bee trying to isolate with less than the values that 14/11 would suggest, then you needed to raise preflop (but you knew that), or, not having raised preflop, cap the flop. Having played it like you did, I call down.

If UTG+1 is reasonable, then folding preflop is not terrible (I'd still raise), and I fold the turn like you did.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:07 AM

I fold the turn too.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:16 PM

He's a friend of mine, so I believe him when he told me he (annoyingly) had TT.

He did, however, agree with my fold.

I like the thoughts on isolation but the 3 bet/turn lead led me to think monster.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:20 PM

This fold is bad. Even twoplustwoers are gonna give you action with overpairs, and there are still plenty of overpairs that you beat. Your preflop play probably causes him to put you on AK or AQ.

I'm calling down regardless of what comes off.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He's a friend of mine, so I believe him when he told me he (annoyingly) had TT.

He did, however, agree with my fold.

I like the thoughts on isolation but the 3 bet/turn lead led me to think monster.

[/ QUOTE ]

So he knew that you would think monster and played accordingly. You should have taken it to the next level and thought;
'if he knows that I will think this is a monster, then he knows that if I raise him on the turn then I HAVE to have a monster-beater.'

On another note, is this really how he would play a monster against you? Or would he prefer some tricky trapping play? It just seems that he wants you out of the hand.
Old 11-12-2005, 01:40 PM

I don't like the fold because TT would play this way, 99 might play this way, and AK might semi-bluff this way figuring he has up to 10 outs to TPTK or a Wheel.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:22 PM

You played this hand weakly preflop so on the flop, I would cap it. You've underrepresented your hand up to this point, so use the flop to define your hand. Then bet or raise the turn. If you had capped it preflop the action would have been different on the flop, making the hand easier to play. But since you didn't, you have to invest some more money on the flop to know what's what. If villain has you beat, you will know about it on the flop and then can release your hand on the turn.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:25 PM

Check out This Thread
Old 11-12-2005, 04:29 PM

After UTG folds, I'd probably put the cap in to take control of the hand, since we lost that chance PF.

The hand probably plays a bit differently. If you cap the flop, and he comes out firing on the turn, I may slow down.

Otherwise I'd check-call the hand down - WA/WB with position.

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]