Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2003, 05:10 AM

Default My first SNG win, a few hands

Hello, got sick of the ring games at 1-2 Party and decided to try a SNG Limit 5+1 (my 2nd, took 3rd in my first) (yes yes I know I should move up to 10+1 but I just wanted to try it out)

Here's a couple hands shorthanded. I pretty much started stealing blinds by open raising with any Ax Kx and two cards T and higher, should i try tighter? (I took 1st btw wahoo!):

1) Blinds at 50/100, I'm holding 1280 with 4 players left, 2-3k-ers and another 1k stack. Pick up A6o. large stack limps in (very loose) and I put up the raise to try to isolate him (mistake?). Folded to limper and he reraises (he's only reraised twice before, but no showdowns). I call (mistake again?). He bets out the flop of rags and I fold, putting him on a pocket pair over which I had one overcard max.

2)A couple hands later I'm at down at T750 (where does the T come from anyways?) and two large 3k stacks and one 2k stack still in. I pick up Q7o folded to me and i raise. BB calls and I bet out the flop of rags. Take the pot. (should I have waited for a better hand?)

3)Down to 3 players blinds at 300/600. I raise (stack at 2.7K) with JTs, called by BB (stack at 1.8K). Flop comes AJx. He bets out, I raise and he reraises. I fold (should I have raised the first bet? after the reraise I put him on an ace)

4) My gamebreaking hand: Blinds at 300/600 I'm holding 3K, big stack has 4K, and small stack around (who can do math!?) 1K. I pick up AQs in SB, small stack folds and I raise. He reraises and I cap. (He had been somewhat alien to the idea of stealing blinds, so my guess was big cards)

Flop comes J58, and we cap again (stupid stupid, what if he was holding a pocket pair?). I probably shouldn't have, but by now there was no turning back.

Turn hits an A and he puts me all in.

I take down the pot over A9s, doubling me up and severly crippling him.

Should I have even been involved? I remember that I lose EV when I get into a head to head battle with another big stack. Even though there was good results, in the long run should I have been involved in that pot?

After that hand it was smooth sailing with me holding 6.8K and the other two just waiting to get blinded out. I even stole a blind (open raise on K4o) Should I be trying to steal blinds that late? I was still raising pretty much any king and any ace.

I pushed someone all in on AKo and the flop came QQQ, but then a K hit on the river and he turned out to be holding K2. =p dang.

My final hand was QQ when I was BB (400) vs. his all in SB (180). What a wasted pocket pair =p

Well it was quite the rush playing this tourney, I was the small stack in 4th place for a bit but then I hit some cards and held on to win it. If you held out and read all the way through, kudos to you. and if you respond with some suggestions on how to improve, major kudos!