Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 11:02 PM

Default What is appropriate conversation at a B&M table?

So when I play at a B&M I love chatting it up. The hope is to create a friendly atmosphere and pass the time when I am not in a hand. I still pay attention to the hands and how people react ect ect ect. Well friday I was playing at Lucky Chances and had a couple of guys one and old timer and another a guy around his mid 30s get pissed off at me for chatting it up at the table. I never critized anyone's play, nor was I being a table captain. I was just sitting having a conversation with my friend and a couple other guys at the table. The old guy made the claim they we were here to play poker and not chit chat.
Now to the question I have. Where is the line as far as conversation goes? Its +EV to create a friendly conversation at the table and create a social atmosphere? I honestly wouldn't be asking and had it just been 1 guy at the table I would have ignored him as being grouch, but because there were several I was suprised. What are your guys opinions?
Old 06-28-2005, 11:07 PM

Default Re: What is appropriate conversation at a B&M table?

I would have started chatting more and louder to piss him off and put him on tilt. As long as youre just chatting friendly, he has no right to tell you to be quiet.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:09 PM

I find it extremely boring to sit around and not say a word. I'm constantly chatting it up, but obviously only with people who chat back. If they don't want to, fine, but they sure as hell better not tell me and a friend or another chatty player to stop talking.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:11 PM

As long as you're not talking about the hand in play, or telling other people how to play, then you're not doing anything wrong. I've run in to a couple of people like this, and if you just keep talking it puts them on tilt and they spread chips around the table.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:11 PM

Theres no rule saying you can't talk to your friend(s) at the poker table, I keep up the chatter.

I personally don't think much of someone who tries to needle, but if its friendly I encourage it, I play poker to have fun, not to have someone tell me i can't speak.

The only time I absolutely hate chit chat at the table is when its slowing up the action.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:14 PM

Chit-chatting is fine. But, as in any other social setting, excessive and erroneous blabber can be aggravating to those around you. The "no chit-chat" comment directed at you may have been a polite way for the old guy to tell you to shut it because you never stop blathering on and on and on. I have no idea if this was the case, or if the old guy was just being a nit, but it's something to think about.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:22 PM

It's like driving in traffic: just do what everyone else is doing (if you're not a regular). If it's chatty and friendly, be chatty and friendly. If not, just play poker. Pissing people off is not good manners nor good poker.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:26 PM

Nothing wrong with a little friendly banter. But if you're someone with an annoying voice, or who's going on on and on at a mile a minute and don't know when to shut up and give it a rest, it becomes impolite on your part. The rest of the table might not give a [censored] about what you and your friend are talking about for hours on end.

Not saying that's what you were doing, but it makes sense if more than one person actually felt the need to tell you to stop talking.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a couple of guys one and old timer and another a guy around his mid 30s get pissed off at me for chatting it up at the table. I never critized anyone's play, nor was I being a table captain. I was just sitting having a conversation with my friend and a couple other guys at the table. The old guy made the claim they we were here to play poker and not chit chat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like someone has corn-cob-itis a very painful disease where a corncob has actually become permanantly lodged in the rectum of the sufferer and cannot be removed. The best treatment for this disease is to kick the person really hard in the nuts and hope they don't come back to the cardroom anymore.

[ QUOTE ]
Its +EV to create a friendly conversation at the table and create a social atmosphere?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell friggin' yeah it is. Happy chatty tables are looser and have fewer players actually watching the game. As long as you don't over-do it while a hand is in progress, chat away, and nice talking to you. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

al
Old 06-28-2005, 11:58 PM

I find the best games and the most profitable games the games that feature happy shiny people.