Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2005, 10:10 AM

Default Limit vs. No limit in Vegas

After looking up poker rooms at All Vegas Poker, I think that no limit poker is a viable option in to win money in vegas while i am there. I was wondering if it was the better option. I am equally good at both limit and no limit and i have a bankroll of 2K for 72 hours in vegas.

here are my questions.
I play 3/6 4 tables on line and i know that 3/6 online is not the same as 3/6 live so what is 3/6 online in comparison to live play??

i also know that a 1/2 No limit game full of morons can be pretty proffitable but i play in windsor and there is no way that the games in vegas can be as soft as they are here.

i am thinking of playing 6/12 8/16 and moving to 10/20 if i make a little money

or

playing 1/2NL and moving to 2/5 NL if i make a little money.

i have a little more fun playing no limit live BUT i have alot more fun winning more money on average no matter what game I play.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:06 PM

Default Re: Limit vs. No limit in Vegas

If you have the bankroll, 3/6 online should translate nicely to 10/20.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:27 PM

If you play NL you will find quite a few donks at the 1/2 tables just about all the time. People open raising for $12+ plus and getting called in multiple spots. If you do play 1/2 make sure you play with either no capped buy in or a buy in of at least 200+, I personally hate playing with significantly less than 100 big blinds at NL, especially with people open raising to such ridiculous amounts.

I have little experience at 2/5, I mostly play 6 max 100NL on the internet and feel the skill level there is about the same as 2/5 live, but as always it depends on the table could be as bad as 50 or 25 NL as well.

Limit wise I agree with what wstaffor says. YOu will find that 3/6, 4/8 in vegas is mostly like .5/1 at party, so you should definetly play at least 6/12 or higher.

It's all about what you feel comfortable with. For some reason whenever I play live I get much more emotionally attached to the money than when I play on the internet. , even though i play for more money on the internet than I do live, probably just lack of experience on my part.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:34 PM

What about for someone who has very little no limit experience? I'll be heading to vegas this summer and mainly play 3/6 full or 3/6 6-max (mostly this recently) online. I have no live experience (closest poker room is 90 miles away). Should I stick with limit in vegas? Maybe 5/10 or 6/12 or are there small changes I can make to beat the 1/2 NL games?
Old 05-18-2005, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What about for someone who has very little no limit experience? I'll be heading to vegas this summer and mainly play 3/6 full or 3/6 6-max (mostly this recently) online. I have no live experience (closest poker room is 90 miles away). Should I stick with limit in vegas? Maybe 5/10 or 6/12 or are there small changes I can make to beat the 1/2 NL games?

[/ QUOTE ]

unless you have some desire to play no limit it is EV+++++++++ to play limit

there are no small changes you can make to beat a 1/2 nl game like you would a limit game in vegas if you are a winning player.

If you have never played live before and want to get your feet wet just play some 2/4 3/6 4/8, expect players like party .5/1 only 17x worse, and get used to playing.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

i am thinking of playing 6/12 8/16 and moving to 10/20 if i make a little money

or

playing 1/2NL and moving to 2/5 NL if i make a little money.

[/ QUOTE ]
These are both good plans. I think you should do some of each.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:54 PM

3/6 in Vegas is mch better than .5/1 online.

I played 2/4 3/6 4/8 and 8/16 in Vegas I did fairly well.

Worst session was -15bb. Best session was +50 bb.

One big differance that I noticed was live players are more passive than on line players at the lower limits.

Its not unusuall to see a rasie preflop checked around to the raiser.

I have also seen people lay down hands at the river to 1BB in a huge pot. I was playing 4/8 at the MGM raised preflop with Q's in the CO. 7 to the flop SB and BB both called. Bet the flop 4 to the turn bet the turn 3 to the river. Bet the river. No showdown.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I play 3/6 4 tables on line and i know that 3/6 online is not the same as 3/6 live so what is 3/6 online in comparison to live play??

[/ QUOTE ]

A good 3/6 online player would be a favorite in most Las Vegas 10/20, 15/30 and 20/40 games.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:29 PM

Here in vegas, on a pure profitability standpoint, no limit is clearly the winner. However, with only $2000, you're mostly going to be stuck playing 1-2 with a $200 buy-in, or 2-5 with a $500 buy-in, and the latter is too high for only $2000. You could buy in for less (or play in the long line often times a rock garden bellagio $200 min/max game), but this isn't all that desirable.

As for having fun while in vegas, you might have more of that playing limit, as no limit can sure be boring as hell when you're not catching cards. At least in limit you see a few more turns and rivers, if a few less flops. For $2000 you should be able to play 6-12 and 8-16 just fine, as long as you don't take an ass reaming at 8-16 several sessions in a row.

I'd be game selective of course, and don't be afraid to jump around between limit and no limit, depending on the status of your roll and the softness of the games.

al
Old 05-19-2005, 07:30 AM

This is a really useful post for me as i'm coming to Vegas (from London) for the first time on the 29th May for 3 nights. Am with friends, none of whom are as hooked on poker as me, but will probably sit down and play some low level limit.

Just wondering whether you think a winning No Limit player who doesn't really play Limit should spend his time trying some of the easy Limit games? If so what limit?

I'm staying at the MGM grand by the way....