Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 04:27 AM

Default Re: Gigabet hand in WPT event.

[ QUOTE ]

I disagree. I think calling the flop raise and betting the turn looks very very weak. It looks like you are betting so that you can fold to a raise with a hand like QJ or KJ. I don't think there is any way that I'm laying this hand down. In fact, I'd like to get all my chips in if I can, though I don't think Dan will comply b/c I think he doesn't have a strong enough hand to get all of his stack in there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that you have real experience in WC live events, and understand the difference between the play in those events, and the play online, or even in smaller tournaments. I really believe that you would have layed this hand down in this spot. You are right when you say that this is generally weak looking bet, but that is when the line goes check call on the flop. A lead on the turn after a lead checkraise call on the flop is generally a hand that never folds. Dan knows that, which is why he raised it slightly higher than would normally be comfortable for me to call.

The laydown definitely stems from my read being uncertain, leaning to the very strong to unbeatable side.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't understand why everyone stops thinking at top two in blind v blind hand. Yes, that is a monster under normal circumstances, but you don't normally see Dan Harrington willing to stick in all his chips on an unraised blind v blind hand where the players started off with 100BB. Think about that: Unraised pot, deep stacks, blind v. blind and a very tight aggressive cautious experienced player is acting like he will commit his stack here. If it's a bluff, it's pretty damn slick and you have to give it up to him, if it is not, you just need to be sure of the range of hands he does this with and the frequencies he takes this line with the specific hands he will take this line with.

[/ QUOTE ]

I may have made a bad fold, I may have made a brilliant laydown. Who knows, Dan didn't tell me, and even if he did, I am not sure I would believe him. There is one certainty about the situation though, I feel 100% comfortable at this moment, with the laydown. To this minute, I am still happy with my decision not to put my stack at risk in that spot. One thing I am very good at, is trusting my instinct 100% of the time, no matter how extreme the decision may be, on either end of the spectrum.

Before anyone talks about what a terrible fold this is, change that thought into "wow, I cannot believe that Dan Harrington played the hand so well, unreal how he made Gigabet laydown top two pair when it is obvious he should call." That line of thinking is much better than dwelling on the "supposed" mistake aspect of the hand. Poker is about making your opponent make a mistake, so if you think I made a bad fold, analyze the part of the hand that caused me to make a mistake. That will improve your results much quicker than just recognizing a mistake, and then trying to avoid making that same or similar mistake. The more often you can make your opponent make a mistake, the less often you will be in a position to make one.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:16 AM

Frank?
Old 10-21-2005, 05:18 AM

Dude, I respect you and all. I mean, you're 50x the player I'll ever be, but be honest, have you had one of those "What the [censored] was I thinking" moments yet (in regards to this hand)?

Nice finish.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A lead on the turn after a lead checkraise call on the flop is generally a hand that never folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I missing the action on this hand? The action in the hand may change my read. If you check-raised the flop and got raised on the turn, it looks like a much stronger hand than how I read the action.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:57 AM

I'll just wait for HOH 3 and see if Dan includes this hand and reveals what he had and his thinking behind it, especially now that Gigabet has shown his hand.

I have heard that Dan sometimes trolls these boards so Dan the next move is yours.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:07 AM

"Why in God's name did he fold that?!?"

Because he trusted his instincts. Just like Negreanu trusted his instincts a few weeks ago when he was certain his opponent had AA and laid down KK pre-flop (opponent showed QQ).
Old 10-21-2005, 09:18 AM

"Harrington put his opponent to a huge decision with only a relatively small raise. In risking only 1/3 of his stack he forced his opponent to decide whether he wanted to risk all of his."

Yes. And one wonders why Giga, with such a strong hand, wouldn't have tried to do the same to Harrington. On the flop, for example.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:08 PM

This is an example of how important pot control is too this guy, how important winning without showdown is too him and also how little the cards matter to him. I am not at all surprised that he made that fold even though I could never see myself doing the same thing.

Don't forget, this is a guy who has talked about folding Kings preflop to an allin bet early in a sng if he knew his opponent had a live ace.

Here is an analogy, I don't know it's fair or maybe too flattering but here goes: If you were a poker player who who had the capabilities of extracting enough information from players so that at most times you essentially knew what they were holding and how they would react to your actions, why would you risk your chips when this wasn't one of those times.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is an analogy, I don't know it's fair or maybe too flattering but here goes: If you were a poker player who who had the capabilities of extracting enough information from players so that at most times you essentially knew what they were holding and how they would react to your actions, why would you risk your chips when this wasn't one of those times.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting point, but I am not sure Gigabet has that much of a skill advantage over players like Harrington in a major tournament that he can pass up favorable situations like this. Furthermore, tournament play is different from SNGs in that you need to accumulate a lot of chips.