Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2005, 06:37 PM

Default This is sick.

I am having some concerns regarding my total lack of respect for the value of money. I am a 22 year old college student. I play 30-60 limit full time. I play 10-20 nl on a fairly regular basis. My hourly rate is higher than my dads and he is a doctor.

I am handling the money fairly well. I am investing some of it and saving almost all of it. However, my dad makes tons of money, and he still has a respect for money. When we go shopping, he will look for the lowest priced item. When I go shopping, I feel like I am losing money to look for a cheaper item.

The fact that I devalue money is important in the game, but in actual life I look kind of like a jack ass. Especially around friends and family who don't know anything about poker. I always say, well its just 1 big bet.

Anybody have similar problems/concerns?
Old 08-05-2005, 06:39 PM

Default Re: This is sick.

I wanted to add some examples. Like at school I always park in the teachers zone. Why? Because the cost and probability of getting a ticket vs time saved makes parking there -ev. To everybody else, It just looks like I am a prick.

There are other examples, but that is a quick one.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:40 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

maybe I'm wrong, but I think everyone's like this and it's 100% human nature, to an extent

just pay your taxes and don't risk ruining all tha tyou have
Old 08-05-2005, 06:49 PM

Yes, I'm like this too, but I'm adjusting. I spend a lot, I enjoy treating my friends, I enjoy treating my family, and I'm always sharing the things I have. I always provide the beer for my housemates. I have no problems doing any of this, except when I'm in a rut, and my friends always understand that sometimes when I've dropped like 1500 in a couple days I just don't want to spend.

This may seem like a lot, but I never spend more than $100 or so a week in my current living situation, plus housing.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:59 PM

You might post this in the Psychology forum. There are lots of similar type discussions there.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:02 PM

I'll be magnanimous and offer you my services. I will take all of your winnings and provide you with an income equivalent to that of your peers. That way you don't have to feel bad, and no one feels intimidated by your wealth. It's win-win.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:12 PM

Honestly, this is just a symptom of making so much. $1 to someone making $1M/year is worth a lot less than $1 to someone making $10K/year. If you're really saving most of it (and if you're a 30/60 regular, you should be investing most of it and saving some, not the other way around), then there's really not a whole lot wrong with you spending more.

I understand you may not want to get into your personal finances, but its hard being specific without knowing specifics. Still, try taking a month where you really keep track of all of your expenses. I've heard Quicken is really good for this sort of thing. See how much you're spending - and on what - versus what you're earning. I'd be surprised if you weren't socking away most of your earnings.

Also, this might be partly because of your dad's influence. When you spend more than you "should," you feel bad, even if that extra is only a tiny percentage of your income.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:10 PM

I have the same problem as you! I don't play as high as 30/60, but poker players train themselves to survive the downswings by doing this. I have convinced myself that losing 1500 is absolutely nothing to worry about, in fact inavoidable at times playing poker. So why should I worry about buying 100 dollar shoes or sunglasses? Funny, coz my mother spends about an hour a day clipping coupons to save 50cents on laundry detergent or whatnot.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anybody have similar problems/concerns?

[/ QUOTE ]

get bent
Old 08-06-2005, 12:40 AM

I dont play that high but i am like your dad when it comes out side of the game but when i comes to the game and i play i dont care.