Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-21-2005, 05:26 PM

Default Semibluff sniffs out slowplayer (PS 30/60)

Villian is Kingztown for those who play the game. He is 42/16/1.8, kinda spazzy but likes to check-call/check-raise his big hands - a reasonable strategy for someone who is playing crap and therefore drawing quite often. It is 7 handed right now but most of his stats are from shorter games.

Kingztown (KT) limps, another limper, I raise KsQs on the button, both blinds call, KT calls (5 players). It should be noted also that the SB is a frequent stabber betfolder - that will come up later.

Flop is 88T two spades. SB leads out, BB folds, limpers call, I call.

Turn is the Ad. SB leads again, KT calls, I raise. SB folds, but KT comes to life and 3bets. I call.

River is the 6s (giving me a K-high flush). KT bets, I raise, planning to call a 3-bet.

Is the turn silly? I though my nitty image plus flat call on the flop set it up well. And how about the river plan?
Old 12-21-2005, 05:32 PM

Default Re: Semibluff sniffs out slowplayer (PS 30/60)

[ QUOTE ]
Is the turn silly? I though my nitty image plus flat call on the flop set it up well.

[/ QUOTE ]

But the problem is you have one trapped between, if you were HU on the turn, I'd like it more as you folding equity would be higher.

If you got a nitty image, then just raise the flop for a likely free card, sure seems you've got great value w/your overs and flush draw.

River plan is fine, hope he didn't slow ride A8 on the flop.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:35 PM

I would raise the flop where I likely have an equity advantage with a flush draw, two overs (the Q is slightly dirty by J9) and a backdoor straight draw.

I don't like the semibluff on the turn since there are two opponents you have to get to laydown.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:27 PM

I agree with Joe and Jason on raising the flop and just calling the turn. If SB is a stabber, then you may even have the best hand on the flop -- if not, your equity is such that 4-way you'll win more than your fair share. An 8 will expose himself by 3-betting (possibly), but I doubt SB will based on your read.

When KT calls the turn, you have to put him on something, and I don't like raising when SB or KT could hold an A. If they do, they will not fold. They'll say "Oh you have an 8? Then I'll just call you down." Well, they would if this were live. Actually, they would call you down with an A and then say "I knew you had an 8, that's why I didn't raise."

Hitting the spade on the river was a great idea. I like the raise-call line.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:05 PM

I agree that raising the flop here is the textbook play. I didn't do it because I knew the SB was FOS and I wanted him to keep coming. The perfect situation would be if he bets the turn and it's folded to me, but I didn't get that. On the other hand, my raise really looks strong now, I think SB is going to fold, and maybe I can get some lemming carryover when the SB folds to make KT fold a small pair or something (he has to have some outs if not already ahead). At least that's what I was thinking.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:57 PM

I still like the turn play even with KT in the middle. You have a ton of outs and I could easily see KT folding a pair to your raise given that its a protected pot. KT could easily have a draw like J9 or something too so if he calls and you miss on the river you could still win just by checking behind.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:27 PM

I'd much prefer to raise the flop here than raising the turn after you've already got a bettor and a caller.

-ActionBob
Old 12-22-2005, 12:53 PM

Default results

I raised the river, he paused. He types "10zs?", then "nice hand" and I'm like OMG he's going to fold an 8 here. He calls and shows A8, taking the pot. A few seconds later he says "wtf?" (must have read hand history). Given that, I think he would have folded a lot of hands on the turn.

My reasoning for this line is in the response to Joe Tall. Anyone care to poke holes in what I said?