Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 07:16 PM

Default Re: GIGABET.

[ QUOTE ]
All,

It appears there is a thread discussing this hand in every forum. WTF?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought you were going to become a TV star (ie tourney player)?
Old 12-16-2005, 06:04 AM

Default Re: WOW

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Glynn Beebe raises to $36,000 from the cutoff position, Joe Cassidy reraises to $136,000, and Beebe moves all in for $391,000. Joe Cassidy calls, and Beebe shows Ks-Jd. But Cassidy shows -- the Hammer! 7h-2h! Beebe is a favorite to double up here. The flop comes Qc-5c-5s, and Beebe is still in the lead with king high. But the 7d falls on the turn, giving Cassidy the lead with a pair of sevens. Beebe needs a jack or a king to stay alive, but the river card is the 2d.

Glynn Beebe is in shock as he is eliminated in 32nd place -- by seven-deuce. Joe Cassidy now has a huge lead with $1.85 million in chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cassidy has 2 mil in chips, and he just called 200K with A-high and called a 260K all-in reraise with 72. I think it's safe to say nobody is going to be playing back at him without a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was getting 2.2-1 pot odds, his cards were suited and likely live. If he folds in that situation, people won't know he had 72 and will think he is weak/tight and play back at him. Very easy call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok man. "Very easy call"??? Just going on math here, Villain doesnt have to have an overpair very often to utterly squash his pot odds. Even if he has 77 or better 20% of the time Cassidy needs to fold, and I suspect the % could be substantially higher. This is not even bringing into account the fact that his garbage over-reraise is not a good one if it forces him to call an allin and put that many chips in the middle with way the worst of it. Again, I would like to see an account of this hand from a reliable source, as these details are often botched by the websites, as I suspect it was here.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Glynn Beebe raises to $36,000 from the cutoff position, Joe Cassidy reraises to $136,000, and Beebe moves all in for $391,000. Joe Cassidy calls, and Beebe shows Ks-Jd. But Cassidy shows -- the Hammer! 7h-2h! Beebe is a favorite to double up here. The flop comes Qc-5c-5s, and Beebe is still in the lead with king high. But the 7d falls on the turn, giving Cassidy the lead with a pair of sevens. Beebe needs a jack or a king to stay alive, but the river card is the 2d.

Glynn Beebe is in shock as he is eliminated in 32nd place -- by seven-deuce. Joe Cassidy now has a huge lead with $1.85 million in chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cassidy has 2 mil in chips, and he just called 200K with A-high and called a 260K all-in reraise with 72. I think it's safe to say nobody is going to be playing back at him without a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was getting 2.2-1 pot odds, his cards were suited and likely live. If he folds in that situation, people won't know he had 72 and will think he is weak/tight and play back at him. Very easy call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok man. "Very easy call"??? Just going on math here, Villain doesnt have to have an overpair very often to utterly squash his pot odds. Even if he has 77 or better 20% of the time Cassidy needs to fold, and I suspect the % could be substantially higher. This is not even bringing into account the fact that his garbage over-reraise is not a good one if it forces him to call an allin and put that many chips in the middle with way the worst of it. Again, I would like to see an account of this hand from a reliable source, as these details are often botched by the websites, as I suspect it was here.

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, this is button versus blind, so he is not going to have a pp that often. Second of all, he is a 2.1-1.7 dog against 22-66. Villain is not raising on the buttonwith 77-AA that often. So if you average it out, he is getting better than 2.2-1.

Say he is 15% against an overpair 20% of the time and 35% against over cards or a small pair 80% of the time. .2x.15 + .8x.35 = .03 + .28 = .31 or 2.3-1. I think this is about the worse case.

Furthermore, even if it were 2.5-1, the advantage of defending his blind strongly and being seen calling the 3rd raise with 72 outweigh a slight EV-.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:46 AM

The posts that Gigabet made yesterday about waiting for the right spot to get JJ to fold the best hand were very interesting, even more so because his play didn't pan out.

OR DID IT?

Great players are always several steps ahead of their simple minded opponents. Perhaps Gigabet, in his infinite wisdom, found the tighest player, got friendly with her and purposely donated his chips to her, because he thought she'd do a good job of keeping his chips safe. He then proceded to turn 300k into $3.5m and can now take his chips back at his leisure.

Darrell, after the tournament would you mind posting the T's and C's of your deal with the devil? Thanks.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The posts that Gigabet made yesterday about waiting for the right spot to get JJ to fold the best hand were very interesting, even more so because his play didn't pan out.

OR DID IT?

Great players are always several steps ahead of their simple minded opponents. Perhaps Gigabet, in his infinite wisdom, found the tighest player, got friendly with her and purposely donated his chips to her, because he thought she'd do a good job of keeping his chips safe. He then proceded to turn 300k into $3.5m and can now take his chips back at his leisure.

Darrell, after the tournament would you mind posting the T's and C's of your deal with the devil? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're kidding... right?
Old 12-16-2005, 01:31 PM

You're kidding about wondering whether or not he's kidding, right?
Old 12-16-2005, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're kidding about wondering whether or not he's kidding, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

The other guy just suggested that Gigabet wanted to be the short stack, since it would let J.J. "protect his chips".

Yeah, I'm sure Gigabet was sure he'd triple back up sooner or later.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:19 PM

Right, i saw what he said and it was glaringly obvious it was with tongue firmly in cheek.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's idiotic to simply raise a standard amount if your intention is to call an allin, especially with a hand like 72s. His calling the allin seems okay, even though it's pretty close, but that shouldn't even be the debate. His main mistake (a huge one, in general) is not moving allin preflop, or simply folding.

Depending mostly on the ante structure and tightness of the CO, either play seems fine in this given situation, even though I'd lean towards folding.

As for Gigabet's play, he probably has good reasons for how he played it, but the allin shove on the river seems absurdly bad to me. I'm not a fan of playing hands this way in general in a deepstack game unless my opponent/s are reraising a lot to steal, but I thought this hand was overall laughably bad and not at all +EV in the long run.

Calling reraises preflop out of position then delay bluffing the turn/river generally just isn't profitable enough, because it's much harder to bluff someone while out of position (you gain less information). Of course sometimes Gigabet will get paid off if the flop is K 6 6 and he has A6 vs AK, but the implied odds are not there for him to make a profit doing this if he is going to bluff off with the worst hand so often in pots that have been built up fairly large preflop.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's idiotic to simply raise a standard amount if your intention is to call an allin, especially with a hand like 72s. His calling the allin seems okay, even though it's pretty close, but that shouldn't even be the debate. His main mistake (a huge one, in general) is not moving allin preflop, or simply folding.

Depending mostly on the ante structure and tightness of the CO, either play seems fine in this given situation, even though I'd lean towards folding.

As for Gigabet's play, he probably has good reasons for how he played it, but the allin shove on the river seems absurdly bad to me. I'm not a fan of playing hands this way in general in a deepstack game unless my opponent/s are reraising a lot to steal, but I thought this hand was overall laughably bad and not at all +EV in the long run.

Calling reraises preflop out of position then delay bluffing the turn/river generally just isn't profitable enough, because it's much harder to bluff someone while out of position (you gain less information). Of course sometimes Gigabet will get paid off if the flop is K 6 6 and he has A6 vs AK, but the implied odds are not there for him to make a profit doing this if he is going to bluff off with the worst hand so often in pots that have been built up fairly large preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is possible the standard raise from the blinds looks stronger than a push. Also, Cassidy may have been in the SB and not want to commit too many chips with 72 in case the BB wants to play.

You can't always fold to a reraise in this level of tournament unless you have QQ AK or better. AQ is a good hand, although dominated by most legitimate reraising hands. Gigabet had earlier called a reraise with 75o. Obviously he likes to call and outplay postflop. He also could have connected with the flop or had a better situation for bluffing.