Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2004, 06:25 PM

Default Do many poker pros make big bucks?

With the exception of the top 30 or so poker pros, do many others make big bucks?

About a year ago there was a short piece on TV about Eric Seidel, who has been a "name" poker pro for many years. It mentioned that he plays almost every day. OK, this might be more fun than what you or I do for a living, but it sounded like he just grinds out a living. Later in the piece, he and his wife are shown in front of their condo, which seemed rather modest. Then they finished the piece going inside their home to the kitchen. I'll guarantee that more beer and burgers where served there than champagne and caviar.

I'd love to hear from an actual poker pro about this.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:37 PM

Default Re: Do many poker pros make big bucks?

[ QUOTE ]
Later in the piece, he and his wife are shown in front of their condo, which seemed rather modest. Then they finished the piece going inside their home to the kitchen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you missed the gorgeous view that acompanied the shot of eric playing backgammon beside of his backyard pool (and the kitchen wasn't all that bad). But, the year in, year out big money makers are by and large relatively anonymous cash game players.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:42 PM

FYI, Seidel has a 7 figure net-worth cant really tell you how I know this(ok ok i can hear the jeers already but believe me its a reliable source...) his home looked very very cumfy for just 2 people nice pool/nice kitchen...Im not really sure how you expect people that are only worth several million to live but thats probably why most people arent worth this much...

P.S. money is more about how you spend and invest and much less about how much you make.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:43 PM

Not to cut this too fine, and I'm no big expert about Vegas real estate, but I think we're talking about a $350,000 condo.
My house is worth $350,000 and I don't make big bucks.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:45 PM

He has a 6 figure net-worth? WOW!

J5
Old 11-16-2004, 07:02 PM

my point isn't that he is loaded or anything but just that he appeared to own a "house" with a "pool" and a what appeared to be a decent view, which is a description that creates a far different impression than saying someone lives in a "condo". But the deal is year in and year out, cash games are where the money is.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:10 PM

Ooops i meant 6 0's lol 7 figure just edited my bad...And the point is what type of home would someone worth say 6 million have?? Especially if that particular person engages in high end gambling with high variance. IF you dont think a 400k condo with a pool and a view is cumfy for a couple with no kids...well i suppose your more interested in status wealtht hatn real wealth. Kind of like the difference between a BMW(5 series) and a ferrari for someone worth 2-3 million. I know several people worth 2 million plus and they dont roll in ferraris just is a waste of cash they can invest........

And Walter you have to go too work at 9am every morning correct?? Guess what Seidel doesnt and he doesnt have too play office politics and ...........etc etc etc different things are important to different people. Many intelligent people just cant bear to work 9-5 even though they might make more money basically it's your whole life you are surrendering for that 350k house...
Old 11-16-2004, 08:48 PM

I wouldn't call him the most successful pro out there, but Seidel is doing fine:

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/play...?a=s&amp;n=212
Old 11-17-2004, 01:17 AM

Maybe Seidel is just a humble/modest guy?

Just because he is a top poker player we must assume he should live in a mansion?
Old 11-17-2004, 03:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe Seidel is just a humble/modest guy?

Just because he is a top poker player we must assume he should live in a mansion?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding.... If he was making real coin he would have:

The bling-Bling, the entourage, bodyguards and of course everyones favorite yours and mine ........ Hookers and Midgets............

Seriously the guy was a professional stock trader years before the term "day trader" was ever thought about. He has made plenty outside of poker too.

The answer to the first question: Do many Poker pro's make big bucks?

Nope they are all broke.