Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 04:15 PM

Default Do the Colts rest their starters?

Indianapolis should clinch home-field and the first-round bye today up 20 points against a Jacksonville team that can't do anything on offense.

With 3 games left, one against San Diego and one at Seattle, do the Colts rest up and go for the Super Bowl victory, or does Dungy gamble and go for the 19-0?
Old 12-11-2005, 04:17 PM

Default Re: Do the Colts rest their starters?

they should continue to play full strength, its hard to backoff of best play, and then turn it back on later

there is the bye week for rest(and week17)
Old 12-11-2005, 10:24 PM

Winning a Superbowl is more meaningful than an undefeated season. Any Colts fan would rather have the superbowl than go undefeated in the regular season and lose in the championship game or in the superbowl.

If Edgerrin James or Peyton Manning got hurt in a meaningless game against Arizona, Colts fans would be infuriated.

How about treating these games as if they were preseason games. Let the starters play the entire first quarter or even the entire first half, and then pull them out completely or have them play less. This accomplishes two things: (1) It reduces the risk of injury to a key player, and (2) it keeps the starters from getting rusty.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Winning a Superbowl is more meaningful than an undefeated season. Any Colts fan would rather have the superbowl than go undefeated in the regular season and lose in the championship game or in the superbowl.

[/ QUOTE ]

True: but only if the decision is put the the fan after the fact. I can't imagine any Colts fan out there who would advocate NOT going for the undefeated season. Its the nature of being a fan and the nature of the sport.

Any fan wants THEIR team to be "the one" for the ages.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If Edgerrin James or Peyton Manning got hurt in a meaningless game against Arizona, Colts fans would be infuriated.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I were a Colts fan, I would be infuriated if the only blemish on an otherwise undefeated season was a loss against Arizona.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This idea that not resting their starters would cost them the super bowl is so overrated.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This idea that not resting their starters would cost them the super bowl is so overrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

The probability of serious injury is also very low. Honestly, no matter what they do, it probably won't matter much.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally false, as a poster above said, who won superbowl XXI, say it with me now "I have no idea", now who's the only undefeated regular season (and post, but it's reg that's up for debate), that right.
Also it doesn't do any good to give them a month off, that'll build rust like you wouldn't believe.

Cody
Old 12-12-2005, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Totally false, as a poster above said, who won superbowl XXI, say it with me now "I have no idea", now who's the only undefeated regular season (and post, but it's reg that's up for debate), that right.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sort of agree with this, but that said, you just know that even if they go 16-0, if they lose in the playoffs people will talk about how they choked as much as they talk about them being perfect in the regular season. It's just the way it goes.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's just the way it goes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't please everyone, give us a piece of history and let the chips fall where they may. Although I still feel that in the Colts' case, playing your starters and winning the SB aren't mutually exclusive.

Cody