Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2005, 10:44 AM

Default Re: river card is dealt before last player gets to act: ruling?

it took me 1 minute to find this:

If the dealer prematurely deals any cards before the betting is complete, those cards do play, even if a player who has not acted decides to fold.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it took me 1 minute to find this:

If the dealer prematurely deals any cards before the betting is complete, those cards do play, even if a player who has not acted decides to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um...is that a five-card draw rule, or something?

Who's your source?
Old 09-20-2005, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Um...is that a five-card draw rule, or something?

Who's your source?

[/ QUOTE ]

I stand corrrected, I copied / pasted the wrong line, regardless the answer is at cardplayer under general HE rules
Old 09-20-2005, 06:39 PM

Since I hapened to be at the table and in the hand let me add a few things..

First, it was Q94, I remember this vividly because 94 ended up winning but my AQ would have won if the pairing of the 3s on the board stood up.

The point that caused some confusion was that the guy last to act, after pointing out that he was skipped, decided to remove himself from the confusion of the hand and just fold. This caused some at the table to feel that in effect the action was unaffected by the premature burn and turn so the card should stand. IE, the big reason to redeal here would be if someone got a free look at the river, but since the two people still in the hand did not, then it doesn't matter.

Anyway, even though I got screwed here and would have won the pot if the original river stayed, I agree with the floor ruling. The rules need to be applied consistently, and I think any time a card is turned before all players have acted it must get shuffled back in. I wouldn't have given it another thought except the guy next to me (not you mike - on my other side) kept telling me I got screwed.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:13 PM

All of the answers I see here seem to be incomplete. Here is the applicable rule:

4. If the dealer turns the fourth card on the board before the betting round is complete, the card is taken out of play for that round, even if subsequent players elect to fold. The betting is then completed. The dealer burns and turns what would have been the fifth card in the fourth card’s place. After this round of betting, the dealer reshuffles the deck, including the card that was taken out of play, but not including the burn cards or discards. The dealer then cuts the deck and turns the final card without burning a card. If the fifth card is turned up prematurely, the deck is reshuffled and dealt in the same manner.

See Explanations, discussion # 2, for more information on this rule.

(The Explanations--which you can read for yourself on cardplayer.com--simply suggest a "better" rule in their neverending attempt to add to the confusion!)
Old 09-21-2005, 04:24 PM

Nice quote but not right bud.

[ QUOTE ]
4. If the dealer turns the fourth card on the board before the betting round is complete

[/ QUOTE ]

We're discussing the river card, not the turn here. This rule doesn't apply if the turn (FOURTH) card is already been dealt.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice quote but not right bud.

[ QUOTE ]
4. If the dealer turns the fourth card on the board before the betting round is complete

[/ QUOTE ]

We're discussing the river card, not the turn here. This rule doesn't apply if the turn (FOURTH) card is already been dealt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you should read the whole thing before replying. The last sentence says, "If the fifth card is turned up prematurely, the deck is reshuffled and dealt in the same manner."
Old 09-21-2005, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe you should read the whole thing before replying. The last sentence says, "If the fifth card is turned up prematurely, the deck is reshuffled and dealt in the same manner."

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if you learned how to read all of my replies, you would know that I said that exact same thing in an earlier reply. So stop the sarcasm.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:49 PM

Card gets shuffled back into the deck and a new river card is dealt.

Had this happen at a game a few months ago. It was wild, but the same card came out ... no one was expecting that (although I guess it was just as likely as any other card).
Old 09-21-2005, 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Card gets shuffled back into the deck and a new river card is dealt.

Had this happen at a game a few months ago. It was wild, but the same card came out ... no one was expecting that (although I guess it was just as likely as any other card).

[/ QUOTE ]

You weren't at Tulalip were you? I had the same card situation thing happen to me...It was actually a testy situation. I had turned a straight and got all in with a villain with two pair. If he'd have hit his 4-outer after a reshuffle I'd have cried. Another case of a dealer not paying attention in mine.

I bet my straight in position, the villain check-raised. I "pondered" and said "reraise" and put the call out. The dealer seeing the call proceeded to bring the river card. Oh, and I was sitting in the 1 seat and players across the table heard me say "reraise"