Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2005, 08:34 PM

Default Poker below the southern cross - Week 2

Stay healthy!

I believe that most pokerplayers are below 30 and health should not be a problem but in my opinion health is the most important thing in everybodys life. If you have a serious disease all other things become
second class.
Unfortuantely I have the username slimbob not without reason. I am way too fat. The "problem" here in Thailand is that food is very cheap and here in Pattaya you can eat all-you-can-eat buffets for 3-4$. If you stay to thaifood everything is ok but I eat especially in the last weeks way to much fastfood. I discovered also a very good
breakfast for only 2.5$ with 2 eggs, bacon, unlimited coffee and so on and eat this breakfast for the last 3 weeks. The result are that I gained more weight and felt very uncomfortable the last week. Because I needed a health certificate for a driving license I went to a doctor who found out that I suffer from very high blodd pressure. This is very dangerous! I also had a lot of problems with my health the last week. I sweat very much, suffered from sleeplessness, had headaches, felt weak and so on. Why I write this here in a poker forum? Because I expect pity for my bad health?
Absolutely not this is my own fault. But I write it down because it affected my abbility at the pokertables.

Because of my health problems I had not the normal aggression and played way to paasive. So I made some big mistakes because I didnt raised reasonable preflop and I called to much at the river. I lost for example a very big pot with an pverpair when the other player ( a complete maniac) got his straight at the river and went all in. Because I put him on a bluff I called his bet and of course lost the pot. I am pretty sure that I never would called that in good health condition. All-ins at the river are almost never bluffs so a call is -EV here especially because I showed strength before.

So I work hard to lose weigh now and walk every morning at the beach and go every evening swimming. Eggs, alcohol, salt and every unhealthy food is a tabu at the moment and I hope that I can reduce my blood pressure significantly.

And I also want to reduce my time infront of the computer.

Regarding my discipline I made 2 mistakes last week. I played for half an hour 7-stud poker where I have only moderate knowledge and yesterday I sat down by accident at a 400$ NL table at pokerstras and stayed there for 20 minutes instead of leaving immediately.

But regarding my earnings I had a good week at the NL table (see below). I have only 1000 hands in my pokertracker database so I will discuss this in a later issue of my weekly column.

Now I go for a short holdiday and go to a near island (Koh Samet) for 2 days.

May the pokergod be with you!

Regards
slimbob

Earnings after 13 workdays: 1154$
Expected earnings after 13 workdays: 1300$

Extrapolated earnings after 250 workdays: 22192$
Old 06-13-2005, 08:36 PM

Default Re: Poker below the southern cross - Week 2

i wish i could gain weight that easily. i eat 5 times a day, workout 4 days a week and have only seen tone improvement.