Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2005, 02:46 AM

Default QJs vs a lag in MW pot

Reads:

UTG just capped to the river with an OESD (including after it busted) and then bullied a few pots to get his stack back up. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

MP is unknown.

BB seemed like an okay player, I think at this time he was rated LAP, but only after 13 hands. Here's what I've observed on him:

-He bet to the river on 98sA33 board
-He bet the turn in an unraised pot after no action with turned middle pair and a good kicker (specifically J8s)

My first note on him though, was that he slowed down on the turn vs a raise (called to close the action) with two pair, but then he bet and re-raised the river all in.

So I guess he's got room to improve, but he's not completely clueless or anything. When he was showing down hands, regardless of the weird action, they had a chance at winning.

---

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. MP3 posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (13 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, CO folds, SB calls $0.94 (All-In), BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP2 calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (15.44 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players, 1 all-in)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP2 calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

River: (31.44 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players, 1 all-in)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, MP2 folds, BB folds.

Final Pot: 33.44 BB

---

My PF play is questionable due to my position. This was an ill-advised (because it wouldn't work, not because it wasn't a good idea) isolation raise to get me HU/SH with the LAG.

Comments?
Old 04-20-2005, 02:50 AM

Default Re: QJs vs a lag in MW pot

Standard preflop for mine.

I like the whole thing, the flop is good because we trap a lot of bets. It could be a two pair we're up against, but counterfeit and normal outs will take care of that.

The turn is spewing though. I just call this bet, what are we ahead of that UTG would lead vs our cap?

And a crying call on the river is standard (hopefully counterfeiting a two pair).
Old 04-20-2005, 03:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
UTG just capped to the river with an OESD

[/ QUOTE ]

this doesnt change your mind at all? seems like the utg villain is very aggressive and semi bluffs to the max.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:35 AM

I just call the turn 3-bet. With 2 others in there, we're in the hurt-locker.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:48 AM

Default Re: READ UPDATE

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
UTG just capped to the river with an OESD

[/ QUOTE ]

this doesnt change your mind at all? seems like the utg villain is very aggressive and semi bluffs to the max.

[/ QUOTE ]

Semibluffing I can understand, but a semi-cap makes my mouth water. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Edit: BB in the betting to the river on the 98sA33 board had QQ. Sorry.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:33 AM

Default Re: QJs vs a lag in MW pot... bump

morning bump.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:41 AM

Isolation raise this early is a little ambitious with QJs,so i agree with you for exactly the reasons you posted, but i don't think that it is good idea that didn't work, its a BAD IDEA because IT WON"T WORK, imo.

you should stop the action after the maniac bets on the river. It makes it alot easier for me to tell you to raise, thinking no one will call without a nine (helping your potentially vulnerable J kicker) and knowing that UTG could be again capping a busted draw, pair of sixes, whatever. I think the call down by the passive means he's on a draw (which obviously didn't come in). If villain 3 bets, call.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:46 AM

I strongly disagree with the PFR. Why do you want to get HU with QJs? You *want* to play this multiway. The fact that the maniac is already in the pot is just gravy, as he'll help you build a pot if the flop hits you.

Change your hand to ATo and I would support an isolation raise. Edit: Actually, even then it would depend on the table. People coldcall so much at .5/1 that it's hard to isolate anybody from EP.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:55 AM

Grunching.

I think you definitely get an A for table selection. Even if you didn't get HU with the maniac, you're packing a solid hand against a bunch of chumps who are willing to call 2 cold with just about anything. I don't hate your preflop play at all.

You couldn't ask for a better spot for the maniac to bet and for you to raise on the flop, or again on the turn, but I think your table has caught the cold calling bug. If this guy is as wild as you say he is, I think capping the flop and turn are great plays, especially with the others along padding the pot so much.

On the river, I'm torn between your line, and putting in one last raise, calling a 3bet. If he's as maniacal as you say, it might be good, but I can't blame you for just calling there. With the second 9 out, there are a fair number of ways to lose, now. Actually, I think that's the best. Nice hand.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you definitely get an A for table selection. Even if you didn't get HU with the maniac, you're packing a solid hand against a bunch of chumps who are willing to call 2 cold with just about anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Note how this is an argument *against* trying an isolation raise in this position.