Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 12:23 AM

Default How to play AJ here? (another \"bad beat post\" haha)

AJ in BB, MP minraises, rest fold. 2800 behind, blinds 25/50.

I call. (Is this good?)

Flop: QK2 rainbow.

I bet 200 into the 250 pot. Called. (Is this a good move?)

Turn: 7, board is 4 suit. Your move?
Old 09-12-2005, 03:23 AM

Default Re: How to play AJ here? (another \"bad beat post\" haha)

1. Any read on the mini raiser ?
2. If not, then yes call. I consider everryone a normal tight player until I see evidence that proves this otherwise.
3. 200 is ok for a bet. You most likely could have bet 150 to get the same result. If it was someone that had folded to aggression after the flop I would have bet bigger here to try to drive them out and take the pot down right then.
A probe bet to see where you stand is fine here out of position and with no read on the original raiser.

To me a mini raise pre flop is either someone clueless or someone that wants some action with a premium hand.
With no other info. on the raiser after he calls your bet, I'd put him on hand ranges like AA-QQ, AK, AQ, maybe AJs, possibly KQ.
If it was a loose player it's possible he mini raised with A2s pre flop but, not very likely.

My take would be he has at least caught part of the flop. Top pair, 2nd pair or a set.
I doubt if he was playing AJs and figured himself for 8 outs that he calls your 200 bet here. The odds are not right.
If he had JJ, TT, or 99 pre flop then I can't see him calling your bet unless he thinks you are trying to steal.
With the rainbow flop if he has a set he should just call trying to see how many more chips he can get out of you.
The straight draw shouldn't scare him as much since you have at best a 4 out draw to the straight.

If you think firing at it will make him fold then fire at it again.

If you check and he checks then either;
1. He does have the set and is trapping
2. He has 2 pair and is trapping
3. He has 2nd pair top kicker and is happy to get a free card.
4. He has TPTK and is trapping.
5. He is a bad player and is checking with JJ or TT or 99 trying to improve his hand.

If I read him ass a tight playerr I check here.
If i read him as a loose player that might be trying to make you think he has TPTK or a set here then I'd fire about a 2/3 size pot bet to try to take it down right here.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:04 PM

Default Re: How to play AJ here? (another \"bad beat post\" haha)

[ QUOTE ]
AJ in BB, MP minraises, rest fold. 2800 behind, blinds 25/50.

I call. (Is this good?)

Flop: QK2 rainbow.

I bet 200 into the 250 pot. Called. (Is this a good move?)

Turn: 7, board is 4 suit. Your move?

[/ QUOTE ]

The flop is a rainbow, and he just called your bet on the flop. So either he has 10-J or he has a pair. If you bet enough I suppose a good player will lay down 10-J here, but I'd be very happy to check/fold here, or call if he gives odds. You have such a healthy stack here, no sense in risking a bigger portion of your stack on this hand.

And don't title your post 'bad beat' if you want good commentary. So what, you somehow got your chips in and he called with something inferior? Or did you put a bad beat on someone?

Brad