Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 10:48 PM

Default Re: WCOOP Event 4 - 3 hands for review

[ QUOTE ]
kdoublek, the problem with your line is that this is how I might play a wide variety of hands. AJ, suiteds, X3. He could very easily be value-bettting here after letting the hero fire out all the bets he wanted to. I think the odds of a bluff are about equal to the odds of a boat - about 20% for each. But that means you've got a hand to value bet 60% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right cardsharp, this is how you would play a wide variety of hands. But villain here is described as weak, tight, and passive. If he has AJ he's firing on this flop to protect his hand from any scare card that might fall. Passive players tend to limp with suited connectors preflop so I don't think his raise would indicate that. This is, however, how a passive player would play Axs. While I may have overestimated villain's chance of having the boat, I think you've overestimated his chance of making a play. Weak, tight, passive players don't make these kinds of bluffs on these boards. Nor do they raise here without the close to the nuts. If he has AJ, A3, or a smaller flush he's probably just calling. That being said, I'll admit that I would probably be too attached to the hand not to call the small river raise even though I'm sure I'm beat.

Getting back to hand # 1, I think a check miniraise on the flop is the best line. You have the best underpair and villain is capable of potting any underpair plus AK, AJ, and a flush draw. Any hand that beats you badly now is almost certainly jamming and you can fold. There are a whole bunch of hands you are ahead of that might just call a miniraise though. In that case you are probably way ahead and can figure out how to get the most chips on the turn. I think he would jam the flop with AKs and AJs too, but folding to these hands is a risk worth taking imo since you're not that far ahead of them.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:47 AM

Default Results

Thanks for the responses guys,

Hand 1

I moved the slider up to checkraise and it was basically for my whole stack. I didn't want to call as I didn't have a turn plan. I folded. Villain flashed TT [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Hand 2

I called. Villain showed JJ for the boat [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Hand 3

Villain called and showed KTo - I didn't improve and was out [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

ipp147
Old 09-09-2005, 09:39 AM

For hand 1, why are you not re-raising preflop? This is still during the rebuy period, right? During the rebuy period a raise can mean almost any two cards. You need to take this opportunity to try and double up here. If you lose, then you can still rebuy. If you don't want to rebuy, then you are wasting your money playing in this tournament.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:11 AM

hand 1 - this is the trickiest one. jj out of position can be very difficult. i like calling preflop (if you reraise to ~500 a good tricky player will just smooth call w/ aa or kk and stack you off on the flop). on the flop, then, i would lead out for the pot. if he comes over the top then you just have to make a tough decision based on what you know of him. i would generally fold, but not always.

hand 2 - if your read is strong enough you can fold this. given your description, the 2 hands that the villain BY FAR is representing by his betting pattern are JJ and AdXd.

make a crying call if your read is a little shaky. i think reraising here is very bad.

hand 3 - maybe make it a bit more preflop, but that's being picky. once you reraise you are pushing any flop, unless you hit it huge and decide it's better to check and induce some action.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
kdoublek, the problem with your line is that this is how I might play a wide variety of hands. AJ, suiteds, X3. He could very easily be value-bettting here after letting the hero fire out all the bets he wanted to. I think the odds of a bluff are about equal to the odds of a boat - about 20% for each. But that means you've got a hand to value bet 60% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

the opponent is described as weak, tight, and passive. these opponents are rarely, rarely raising the river here without a hand that beats our K-high flush.

i would expect to see AdJd or JJ here at least 80% of the time.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For hand 1, why are you not re-raising preflop? This is still during the rebuy period, right? During the rebuy period a raise can mean almost any two cards. You need to take this opportunity to try and double up here. If you lose, then you can still rebuy. If you don't want to rebuy, then you are wasting your money playing in this tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a rebuy tournament
Old 09-09-2005, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hand 2 - if your read is strong enough you can fold this. given your description, the 2 hands that the villain BY FAR is representing by his betting pattern are JJ and AdXd.

[/ QUOTE ]

make a crying call if your read is a little shaky. i think reraising here is very bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

My read wasn't super strong. I should have laid it down but I didn't think it through properly. NL MTT's aren't my main game.

[ QUOTE ]
hand 3 - maybe make it a bit more preflop, but that's being picky. once you reraise you are pushing any flop, unless you hit it huge and decide it's better to check and induce some action.

[/ QUOTE ]

I might have posted it wrong but I raised the max preflop. I should have check called the flop but thats by the by.