Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 09:15 PM

Default Dignity

What value, if any, does dignity have for the Christian?
Old 12-09-2005, 10:23 PM

Default Re: Dignity

Another trick question with a hidden agenda no doubt.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:30 PM

Why would it be different than anyone else's ?
Old 12-09-2005, 11:45 PM

What the hell does this question mean?
Old 12-10-2005, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Another trick question with a hidden agenda no doubt.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assure you that's not what it is. Since it apparently wasn't very clear to anyone, let me expand my question, and give my answer.

I'm asking what value dignified behavior has in the life of a Christian, if he lives by the bible? By dignity I'm talking self-respect, poise, acting with "inherent nobility and worth" (dictionary.com), etc.

I think that Christian teachings are against dignity in its followers. Turning the other cheek isn't what I would call dignified behavior. Lying prostrate before God also is not dignified. Therefore, I don't think dignity has any value for Christian life. Correct me if I'm wrong.

On the other hand, dignity seems very important for atheists and even nontheistic religions. Having dignity seems to imply that one values one's life while on earth. It can even be an act of rebellion against death, against the temptation to weakness -- a worthy display of inner strength. Whereas Christians (should?) turn against human pride, atheists should live to prove that it exists.

I'm not poking fun at Christians, just trying to see what their take on this is, if I'm right about their view on dignity.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:48 PM

There is a difference between dignity, that is, the innate worth that every individual has as a result of his being a child of God, and which demands that he be treated with respect by others, and the use of the word you are giving it, which is merely self-pride. While part of the meaning of the dignity of God's children means that they also should respect and value themselves, humility is a greater virtue.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:51 PM

"There is a difference between dignity, that is, the innate worth that every individual has as a result of his being a child of God, and which demands that he be treated with respect by others, and the use of the word you are giving it, which is merely self-pride."

Self-pride is the display of that innate worth if we are talking about ACTING with dignity. You are saying that Christians have dignity but should not give an outward appearance of it?

"While part of the meaning of the dignity of God's children means that they also should respect and value themselves, humility is a greater virtue."

Humility is devaluing oneself. How can both be virtues at the same time if they are opposites? Are there certain times that call for one and other times that call for the other?
Old 12-10-2005, 02:14 PM

There is no contradiction in one correctly valuing himself and recognizing his fundamental dignity, while at the same time acknowledging his limitations and shortcomings and acting with humility in his relations with others and before God. However the true contradiction is having an inflated ego and notion of one's self-worth and acting pridefully and arrogantly with others and before God.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Turning the other cheek isn't what I would call dignified behavior.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not?

Keeping one's dignity under assault seems in large part to mean not sinking to their level, turning to their tactics, etc.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:11 PM

This is a very neat and well-packaged answer. However, it doesn't play out like this in real life. If a man lays prostrate before God, he sacrifices his dignity. He is essentially saying, "I am nothing without You, God." Where is his self-worth? Therefore, he has no dignity before God.

Secondly, if another man slaps him across the face and insults him, he is supposed to turn the other cheek in an act of complete submission. This time he sacrifices his dignity and self-worth before other humans.

In both cases humility takes precedence over dignity. Therefore, before God and before man, the Christian is not supposed to act with dignity.