Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 11:43 PM

Default Re: First Open Office, then Firefox, now what?

[ QUOTE ]

I am not sure who told you AVG is the be all end all, but it just isn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

I told myself AVG was the end all be all after having used it. Although, I'd certainly like to hear your arguments as to why the others you mentioned are superior. I did miss the open source part of the question, however, so I'll go ahead and withdraw my nomination.

The the OP's later question about Linux: I'm a linux system administrator and have been a user since the days of RedHat 5. If you're not that technical, I'd stay away from Linux. It's a phenominal operating system, and one that will eventually be ready for grandma's desktop, but that's not the case right now. For example, simple things like getting a printer working can take hours. If you're feeling adventurous or curious, then by all means install it and play; I'd recommend Suse or Fedora if you're starting out. But if you just like to surf the web or play poker, I'd stick with Windows.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:19 AM

Default Re: First Open Office, then Firefox, now what?

AVG may well be the best, I dont think so. I have used several free, and they all seem sufficent to me. As for Linux, online poker players shouldnt use Linux as most sites wont work (barring WINE of course, but let's be honest if someone isnt already on Linux, then getting them on and using WINE for poer is a bit much).

Personally though on the the AV front, I always felt like AVG was a bit more intensive than Clamwin. Though not that much.

C-Dog