Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2005, 04:33 AM

Default check/call check/call lead

lag raises utg +1, folded to me in BB I call with KQo

flop comes kd 6s 5s
hero checks, lag bets, hero calls

turn 2d
hero checks, lag bets, hero calls

river 3d
hero bets, lag raises, hero calls.

what ya think?
Old 07-22-2005, 05:47 AM

Default Re: check/call check/call lead

I like checkraising the turn here, unless you think he'll fold a lot of hands to a turn checkraise.
If he calls you down after a turn checkraise, the value is the same as your line. But, if he just calls (or folds) to your sudden river betout, cring the turn is better.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:05 AM

I like a flop check-raise against a LAG, since the only hands you're reasonably behind here are AK, AA, and KK, and KK is pretty unlikely. You don't want to risk him checking behind on the turn, you have a lot of equity against his range, if he's really aggressive he might put in a third bet while behind, and he's not folding for a small bet even with a hand like AQ where he's drawing to three outs.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like a flop check-raise against a LAG, since the only hands you're reasonably behind here are AK, AA, and KK, and KK is pretty unlikely. You don't want to risk him checking behind on the turn, you have a lot of equity against his range, if he's really aggressive he might put in a third bet while behind, and he's not folding for a small bet even with a hand like AQ where he's drawing to three outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assumed an implication of "he's a LAG" is that he'd rarely check behind on the turn. Why is checkraising the flop better than checkraising the turn, then?
Old 07-22-2005, 09:37 AM

The reason I like obtaining the lead here is because of the spades on board, I'd like my opponent to not check through A8s, for instance, because he has 12 outs. He'll call down, and he might even call a bet with A high or a pair of 8s on the river, but giving a free card here is more dangerous than on a board of K82r.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:48 PM

A LAG is definitely not checking behind on the turn with Axs, heck, even I'm not checking behind on the turn with it. the only debate, in my opinion, is whether you gain more by letting the LAG continuation-bet his hand to death, or to check-raise on some street and hope to get called down by a weaker hand. Against a LAG, I actually prefer 3-betting PF. And yes, I do prefer check-raising the turn here, as he'll call down with a lot and I don't think he can easily 3-bet you without a much better hand, as you could conceivably have 34, but you never know..