Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 02:09 AM

Default 30/60 button steal - good spot to mix it up?

Read on villain is an okay, aggressive player who's probably not very tricky postflop and doesn't see me as tricky at all.

This is one of those rare spots where I'm occasionally checking behind, especially if I think villain will autobet the turn.

I felt that the villain would lead out on the turn with almost anything, and planned to call any non-club river UI.

I considered raising (or folding) the turn, but since I thought villain would autofire any river (and I believed that villain was thinking "he checked the flop. he's very weak (especially if I don't raise on the turn), he's very likely to fold to a river bet"), I thought calling was the way to go.

If this isn't a good spot to not bet the flop given the PF action, then when is it? (if ever?)

Party Poker (4 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB bets. Hero calls.

River: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB bets. Hero calls.

Final Pot:
Old 08-10-2005, 02:37 AM

Default Re: 30/60 button steal - good spot to mix it up?

you lost this pot, huh.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:09 AM

i like flawless victory
Old 08-10-2005, 04:48 AM

Do this with an ACE, not with a KING.

lf
Old 08-10-2005, 06:38 PM

Default Results

Villain showed K2 no clubs, and from this, suspect he would have done this with complete trash. Villain isn't a bad player, and I would guess he's a small winner in the game. I think the fact that the board paired on the river made my hand really strong as no draws got there. As I said, villain didn't take defense against tricky lines (i.e. I showed weakness, therefore he bets).

I think checking behind on the flop with an ace is usually a bad idea as you don't stand to get paid off well if you do hit, and the loss you sustain from giving a possible free card is too much. But with K high, I feel as if I'm either way ahead or way behind, and an A high or low pair might check to me again on the turn, giving me another free card.

The few times I've taken this sort of line, I've held KQ, or KJ on some medium flop like this.

I've had much success with this situation against the right opponent, although it's quite rare (I can only recall 3 or 4 other times in the past few months that it has come up).