Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2005, 05:18 AM

Default Two plus two (equals four) questions

If you ponder these questions and draw reasonable conclusions, then preflop becomes pretty easy. Notice that you can replace the hand range with *ANY* range where the hands are all of the same type. You should try to get to the point where your responses to these questions are automatic.

Assuming an unraised pot...

1) Why might you raise 77-99 preflop from mid or late position?
2) Why might you limp 77-99 preflop from mid or late position?
3) Why might you fold 77-99 preflop from mid or late position?
4) In what situations would two or more of these options be similar in value (close enough that it probably doesn't matter what you do)?
Old 11-05-2005, 05:28 AM

Default Re: Two plus two (equals four) questions

good post. I'm not sure how much discussion it will generate, but make sure it gets bumped throughout the day. People need to see this.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:30 AM

here's an attempt at some answers

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

when many players are in the pot and you want to temp them to stay on later rounds of betting when you flop your set.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

when u want the players behind you to limp in so that u get the proper odds when u flop a set.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

when there has been lots of preflop aggression in the early/mid positions and u think your hand is unlikely to hold up against strong hands

[ QUOTE ]

4) In what situations would two or more of these options be similar in value (close enough that it probably doesn't matter what you do)?

[/ QUOTE ]

1 & 2 probably don't make much difference if the game is so loose that players are going to stay in if you hit your set without a large pot to tempt them.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:42 AM

A: Because it could win UI vs. 1-2 opponents

A: There are others in the pot and making a set can pay off well.

A: 77 and 99 from MP: It's raised in front of us and there are not a lot of limpers. 99: It's raised and three bet in front of us.

A: A number of situations could be cited. For instance, 2 limpers and a raise with 77 on the button and tight blinds. Another might be 88 on the button with an early limp, an early raise, two cold calls, and a three bet.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:52 AM

I'd guess you always want plenty of opponents with 77-99 to give you proper set odds, since you probably won't win with anything else. Thus I raise if there have been many limpers to trap bets. I'd only fold if there were several folds before me.

I'm not sure why'd you'd ever limp instead of raise (given you have enough callers), anyone who called one bet will probably call another.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1. To isolate one limper in front of you if the players behind you are tight.
2. To bloat a pot from late position, plus attempting to get the button if you don't have it to give you a better chance at seeing the turn and perhaps the river.
3. To steal the blinds.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1. If 2 or more players had limped in front of you and the players behind you were loose, negating your ability to knock out the blinds and/or steal the button.
2. To encourage more limpers behind you.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In an unraised pot? I'm not sure. I think that it would have to have been folded to you and the conditions behind you were such that makes opening -EV. IE, you have a very low chance to steal the blinds or the players yet to act are prone to isolate your raise attempt and punish you postflop.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea. It's too early. My brain hurts. This sounds too much like a question my old horrible maths teacher would have given me. I hated maths. Arrggh.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With many loose passive limpers already in, I raise these hands for value, to try and buy the button, and for fold equity later. I would also raise these hands to isolate a weak player.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If UTG limps and it is folded to me, I will often limp here to try and keep players in to bloat the pot and make my set chase worthwhile.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmmm. Totally read dependant. One limper, stats are 10/0/3, I see him playing 4 tables, might not be worth it. Or if there's a complete maniac on my left, who would bet and raise with anything, I might be inclined to fold rather than open raise. Other than that, I don't see me folding these hands from mid or late position.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry bro, I'm not that good at math.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:29 PM

I'll try this but for 6-maximum games:

1. You want to win UI so every player that folds improves your chance to win

2. You need to win by making a set. 2 or more players limped already and the blinds are loose.

3. Almost never.

4. 1 in very loose table or 2 in very tight table
Old 11-05-2005, 01:02 PM

1. Unless there are exactly 3 people limping before me, I'm raising 77-99. More than that I'm raising to buy the button and buy a free turn card so I have two opportunities to spike my set.

2. I'm only limping if there are exactly 3 people before me who have limped. Other than that like I said above, limp.

3. I'm only folding if there is a raise, reraise, and a cap with no other players involved. Otherwise I'm calling it.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1a) I'm opening or isolating a single limper.
1b) There are either 4 people in already or 3 in with loose players behind me.
1c) I'm in CO, and button is tight.
1d) Opponents are exceptionally loose post-flop.

2) There are 2 or 3 limpers, and the players behind me are not predictably loose.

3) Not doing this too much. Maybe in LP where a very tight UTG has limped, and it's folded to me.

4) For me, there's some gray area between 1 and 2. For instance, I might want another limper to raise, but figure that the players behind me are loose enough to make up for it, or maybe UTG and UTG+1 are any-two-will-do types, I'm on the button, and the blinds are tight.