Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-22-2005, 12:30 PM

Default Re: What\'s the dumbest bet you\'ve ever made?

Bet a friend $50 that the Big East would send 7 teams to the tournament last year. I was one year too soon.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My brother and I bet every pitch when we are at Sox games. By the middle of the 5th the people sitting around us are either leaving or betting with us.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's awesome.

As for me, I made a bet last year that Ricky Williams would have more yards than Rudi Johnson. Of course, about a month after we made the bet, Ricky retires and I lose. I also bet a friend on a simulated Super Nintendo game of Ryan Sandberg RBI baseball (we just watched and rooted for our team). And while at the student cafeteria last year I bet my roommate $10 that we would see a specific person walking back to our dorm (I lost). Also I bet on the Perogi race at most Pittsburgh Pirates home games.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Two that I can think of.

One was a "fantasy golf" bet with three other guys. We picked four golfers in the 2002 US Open, and we combined total scores (golfers that didn't make the cut received 80's for the last two days.) Winner was lowest total score. Our golf addict friend picked four guys who finished in the top eight, winning easily. Two of my guys didn't make the cut.

Another bet: I bet $20 that the line in Rounders was "They even closed down his regular club, the Four Shea's. The place hadn't been open since 1908." Don't ask why.

ScottieK

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 12-22-2005, 01:13 PM

2 of them both this year both with the same friend

1. I bet the jets were going to have an 11-5 or over year he was under
2. I bet the Jets were going to beat New England Both games (tie at 1-1)

Thank god im a Giants fan!
Old 12-22-2005, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Two that I can think of.

One was a "fantasy golf" bet with three other guys. We picked four golfers in the 2002 US Open, and we combined total scores (golfers that didn't make the cut received 80's for the last two days.) Winner was lowest total score. Our golf addict friend picked four guys who finished in the top eight, winning easily. Two of my guys didn't make the cut.

Another bet: I bet $20 that the line in Rounders was "They even closed down his regular club, the Four Shea's. The place hadn't been open since 1908." Don't ask why.

ScottieK

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

See, I can't even get the year right. Dumbest $20 I ever lost. And in the fantasy golf thing, I was severely outmatched. My dad follows golf, and he said I should have consulted him before making my picks. As usual, he was right.

ScottieK
Old 12-22-2005, 01:54 PM

Every year I have an ongoing bet with my brother-in-law that the Detroit Lions make the playoffs.

However no money ever changes hands because of another ongoing bet on the Michigan / Michigan State football game.

So yea, dumb bet but at least I have an out.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:51 PM

I bet my friend 10:1 odds (I think 30 for 3) that the blind guy would end up winning on the fifth day of jeopardy. I had read a People magazing article that says he won it so I was basically screwing him over.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:11 PM

I had an existing bet that the NASDAQ would fall below 2000 by the end of February 2001, and it was sometime around Christmas 2000, or maybe early January 2001. I was drinking with some buddies, and there was a Duke basketball game on. I'm not a Duke fan, and do not follow college basketball at all, but Shane Battier was playing and I remembered him as a pretty good High School baller. I took even money (for $500 - the same size as the NASDAQ bet) that Duke would win the NCAA tourney that year.

I should have won the NASDAQ bet too, damnit. I thought that was a lock when I made it in November 2000.

~D
Old 12-22-2005, 05:21 PM

I bet on preseason Houston Oilers over Pittsburgh Steelers, circa 1977.

I bet that I could make it through Gamblers Anonymous.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:31 PM

I work at a TV station and we were covering a city council meeting and I bet my co-worker that a specific councilman would use the the phrase "peak oil" during his opening remarks (even though there was nothing remotely related to it on the agenda), I won.