Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-15-2005, 01:39 PM

Default Re: First time I thought about laying down Kings preflop

I would not open-raise 99 in level 2 there. In this situation, a player has opened for a typical raise and gotten a smallish reraise from a player we can safely label as "good." Everybody so far seems to want to put the reraiser on a very tight range because of the pot odds he's giving the original raiser and everyone behind him to call. Most of the players at the 33's have little to no understanding of pot odds, and I think a good 33's player knows that and adjusts accordingly. A proper adjustment would be to reraise a range of hands that safely beats the opener's raising range (not saying what that is yet), but not so much as to get stacked by a powerhouse hand.

Of course, this all depends on the read on the open-raiser. If he's raising 35% of the first 15-20 hands, I think it would be correct to reraise whatever range beats the top 35% of hands by a healthy amount. If he's raising 0-5% of the first 15-20 hands, then a reraise would only be appropriate with AA/KK and some percentage of "semi-bluff" AKs, TT-QQ as adanthar said.

Now back to Scuba with KK. Certainly, if he thinks quasi is trying to isolate a LAG with a wider range than would normally be smart against a tighter player, he should play his KK without hesitation. I used 99+ as the very widest range I thought quasi could possibly be playing here in the extreme example that AAAMAN was a super-LAG and quasi was feeling bold. The other extreme is AA/KK/??, and I think the ?? happens enough of the time to still not be able to fold KK here, although it's probably close.

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's better to only isolate LAGs when you're in late position, and then it would have to be a real LAG. Am I wrong here?

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree, later position would be better and he would have to be a really fat LAG. I'm not saying I'd make an isolation move this daring, but I'm not #4 on the leaderboard, so shows what I know.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:49 PM

Keep in mind that Quasi likely has 10 tables going. I've played 15 tourneys with him and in the early levels he is a 6/4 vp/pfr. I kinda doubt he has to much of a read on original raiser. I have to go with scuba here that his bet can only be AA/KK.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Keep in mind that Quasi likely has 10 tables going. I've played 15 tourneys with him and in the early levels he is a 6/4 vp/pfr. I kinda doubt he has to much of a read on original raiser. I have to go with scuba here that his bet can only be AA/KK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I've got over 1200 hands played with him, and your stats reflect my "feel" for him. BTW, I'm guessing quasi is a 2er....
Old 12-15-2005, 02:35 PM

Do we get to know the result?
Old 12-15-2005, 04:03 PM

I pushed, because it is standard for me. The hand actually gets worse from there. 500ish stack behinid me insta-calls, and utg thinks forever, and says I'm laying down QQ. Quasi calls with his bullets, and he has no worries because the 500-ish stack also has kings.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My best piece of info would be if I had a note on him. You don't have it this time, but if this went to showdown you should have one now. I've got a lot of notes that say "Played like AA, was AK" or "Played like AA, was AA" or some such.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be half of why I wouldn't fold, the chance that he has AK/nothing being the other half.

I'd call, see a flop, and decide there (yes, there are some aceless flops I would simply fold on.)
Old 12-15-2005, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I pushed, because it is standard for me. The hand actually gets worse from there. 500ish stack behinid me insta-calls, and utg thinks forever, and says I'm laying down QQ. Quasi calls with his bullets, and he has no worries because the 500-ish stack also has kings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then the board came AQJT9, yeah..? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-15-2005, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then the board came AQJT<font color="red"> A </font> , yeah..? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP because Party is rigg3d.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:24 PM

Heh. Well I was going to say A2QJT.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:10 PM

I would fold this against Quasi. He's very tight and straightforward early. But then again I've folded KK twice preflop (neither time on the bubble) in the last week, so I may overdo it a bit.