Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 12-13-2005, 02:39 AM

Default Turn and river questions

Long time lurker, first time poster. During my session tonight, I came across two hands that I had trouble with.

Hand 1

Ultimate Bet 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Villian calls, BB calls.

Both the blinds are LPP (&gt;35 VPIP, &gt;4 PRF), I raise with a decent hand in hopes of picking up the blinds, and instead get two callers.

Flop: (6 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Villian checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Villian calls, BB folds.

I hit my ace and value bet with what I consider to be the best hand at the moment.

Turn: (4 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Villian bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Hero calls.

The four makes a possible, yet unlikely straight. However, villian bets. I raise, for value and also for information(looking back, I'm questioning the raise, thoughts?). I get 3-bet and am pretty sure I am in trouble.

River: (7 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Villian bets</font>, Hero ?

Getting 8-to-1 on my call, and with the villian leading, I'm fairly confident I'm beat and should be folding. Thoughts?

Hand 2

Ultimate Bet 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Villan calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, Villan calls.

Standard p/f raise.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, Villan checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Villan raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Villan caps</font>, Hero calls.

At first glance, the flop seems to be relatively safe, however, I get check-raised by villian. I 3-bet thinking he may be on a straigh draw, but the cap tells me I'm mostly likely behind.

Turn: (8.75 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Villan bets</font>, Hero ?

He leads the turn and now I'm 99.9% sure I'm behind. Getting 10-to-1, I'm pretty sure I should be laying this down with only 2 outs left in the deck.

In these spots, is raise on the turn in Hand 1 and raise on the flop in Hand 2 spewing (more in Hand 1 than Hand 2)? Also, am I playing weak/scared by not calling these down, or am I leaking bets if I see a showdown. Thanks in advance for the input.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:39 AM

Default Re: Turn and river questions

Hand 1: I have to call here. The donk isn't always strong. I would be much more concerned with a check-raise on the turn. It's not uncommon to see this donk from a draw or middle/bottom pair and it's also pretty common as a bluff when the board pairs. BTW, I think the turn raise was fine.

Hand 2: Looks like a set turned full house. If not it's something strong and I think it's very likely you are crushed on the turn and drawing to your 2 Q's. I think you can fold this one despite the pot size.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:49 AM

I'd just calldown from the gaybet in hand 1 unless you've seen him donk draws before. Call the river.

Hand 2 you're hoping he has 57 or something like 88 or TT if you call down, maybe 87. I think it's real close, and reads might sway it to a call but I think I'd ditch it there..
Old 12-13-2005, 08:15 PM

*grunch*

on hand one I am calling down. The river is icky [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] but I would lean toward saying that the villain has an ace too and is getting cheeky, or he has air and puts you on a lower pocket pair or who knows.

on hand two I call down, if he has A9 or something that sucks, if he has a straight, oh well, he's leaking in the long run. Sometimes in this situation with an overpair I will call villain's raise on the flop then raise him on the turn.

Hopefully you can get reads here that will help you in the long run, even if you lost both hands [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

BBB