Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 04:25 PM

Default Re: Goals vs. Achievements

[ QUOTE ]

The 'need for approval' may or may not the reason behind some of the goals/results threads, but age and the 'need for approval' have no direct correlation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither does breast-feeding, but one must admit that the older you get, the less likely you are to need it.

CJ
Old 10-12-2005, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My biggest poker achievement of the month has very little to do with poker.

I finally explained to my better half that just because we are comfortable without my poker income does not mean that it is free money. I explained how bankroll growth works and the true potential. I think she realizes now how short-sighted it is to spend it almost as fast as I can make it and the added stress this causes.

Bankroll Protected-Stress Reduced-Bed Still Warm

By far my biggest achievement of the month.

[/ QUOTE ]

BOWS!
Old 10-12-2005, 04:39 PM

My ultimate achievement is that I found a hobby that is challenging, entertaining, intellectually stimulating, and is, by some miracle, profitable. For that I am grateful just to have a positive ROI.

Of course the goal is to be ever maximizing my true ROI by finding improvement to strategies and making tweaks here and there. For instance...i recently started to see more cheap flops in the early levels of the $33s and play a little postflop poker and found that it has helped me get into bubble with a good stack a lot more often over the last 100 or so games.

My other goals are to expand my poker horizons and learn to play other types of hold-em than NL STTs and to get back to reading these forums regularly.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
get back to reading these forums regularly.

[/ QUOTE ]

VNH!
Old 10-12-2005, 04:51 PM

Good thread.

My biggest achievement for the last 4 months: not a single cigarette smoked. Nicotine works so well with poker for me, whether for relaxation or concentration purposes. Unfortunately it really was a horrible leak in my "game", and from playing poker I turned from a casual smoker to pretty much a chain smoker. Really stupid.

2nd biggest achievement: being disciplined about the hours I put into playing the 22s. I used to start out the night saying that I needed to be up X buyins before quitting for the night. This messed with my sleep, ability to focus at work, and life in general. Now I just allocate a segment of my after-work hours and go at it regardless of whether I'm up or down for the night.

These are probably non-poker achievements, but they've helped me with my game from an emotional standpoint.

Old 10-12-2005, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good thread.

My biggest achievement for the last 4 months: not a single cigarette smoked. Nicotine works so well with poker for me, whether for relaxation or concentration purposes. Unfortunately it really was a horrible leak in my "game", and from playing poker I turned from a casual smoker to pretty much a chain smoker. Really stupid.

2nd biggest achievement: being disciplined about the hours I put into playing the 22s. I used to start out the night saying that I needed to be up X buyins before quitting for the night. This messed with my sleep, ability to focus at work, and life in general. Now I just allocate a segment of my after-work hours and go at it regardless of whether I'm up or down for the night.

These are probably non-poker achievements, but they've helped me with my game from an emotional standpoint.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the second acheivement. Too many people will not quit until they are up overall for the day. They will not book a losing day. Well guess what guys, losing is a part of poker. You are going to have some winning days and some losing days. You have to know how to deal with this and playing to catch up will only put you further behind.