Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 02:01 PM

Default Re: Goals vs. Achievements

[ QUOTE ]
My biggest poker achievement of the month has very little to do with poker.

I finally explained to my better half that just because we are comfortable without my poker income does not mean that it is free money. I explained how bankroll growth works and the true potential. I think she realizes now how short-sighted it is to spend it almost as fast as I can make it and the added stress this causes.

Bankroll Protected-Stress Reduced-Bed Still Warm

By far my biggest achievement of the month.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the coolest results post I've seen in a while.

Irieguy
Old 10-12-2005, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My biggest poker achievement of the month has very little to do with poker.

I finally explained to my better half that just because we are comfortable without my poker income does not mean that it is free money. I explained how bankroll growth works and the true potential. I think she realizes now how short-sighted it is to spend it almost as fast as I can make it and the added stress this causes.

Bankroll Protected-Stress Reduced-Bed Still Warm

By far my biggest achievement of the month.

[/ QUOTE ]

Congratulations man. What's your secret?
Old 10-12-2005, 02:56 PM

Agreed. One of my goals is to always be process/excution oriented instead of results oriented. If you get too results-oriented, you'll get more frustrated by the things beyond your control (when your bad swings occur), and that in turn works against you, and now infects your process - making it even less likely that you'll hit any results-defined goal. It's a catch 22 of sorts, b/c you really have to look at your (long-run) results to gauge how good your process is in a lot of respects, but the more you can take satisfaction in solid, patient, fight-like-all-heck in every SNG process, the better off you're going to be.

I think if you want to play 10,000 SNGs or whatever a year for the next many years, if you don't have a process-orientation, you're going to burn out real quick. A lot of posters that come through this forum (and often disppear) are a constant reminder of that fact. Sh-t happens, deal with it, and do your best from that point on. But...most people are always measuring their last result, and their emotional state reflects that hi or lo. As if this game weren't hard enough as it is...
Old 10-12-2005, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You may be missing what it often apparent to those who are not involved: peer pressure. Most here are still in school, either high school or college, and not yet removed from the need for approval from peers. While they state one goal, their real goal is to get approval. It's understandable. Everyone wants approval. But approval at the expense of what should be your real goal, whatever that real goal should be, is expensive indeed.

I'm many, many years older than the average poster. I'm not immune to the need for approval, just old enough to be past caring as much. It comes with time, for those who ever learn it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 'need for approval' may or may not the reason behind some of the goals/results threads, but age and the 'need for approval' have no direct correlation.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:08 PM

I played 11,000+ SNG's this year.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:09 PM

I'm going to respectfully disagree with most posts on this thread. I think setting a goal like 100 SNGS at x% ROI is dumb and everyone obviously agrees. But I need to set goals to play x amount of SNGs in a month so I play more. A goal to move up to the next level is not achieved if I lose and have to drop down. I also have goals to make $X because that is why I play poker. I understand variance and know first hand its a bitch but I still need goals so I have something to shoot for. Otherwise I'm just playing poker and going with the flow which I dont find to be the most efficient way for me to move up and thus make more and buy my porsche [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2005, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i admit that i did set a goal over the summer to play 20,000 next year, though with intentions to buy things like a new TV and save most of it rather than wasting all the proceeds. however (this goes against the thread rules, but is important) i realized after school started that playing that much during school is simply not realistic since a problem set, lab, or studying needs to take priority.

goals, to me, are extremely helpful because they give me something to reach and for me it's an accomplshment that i was able to tell myself "no, 20,000 will not happen and there's no point in killing yourself then lowering it massively near the end of the year." i've set a new goal for 12,000 in a year, which i still believe will be a challenge (especially since i'm going to be either working or in school full time).

as for recent things, i had my worst downswing ever, of about 30 buyins (until this point, i was always able to play a couple more hours and the downswing would end and i'd break about even or win a little bit with rakeback) but then managed to win back about 20 of them in one session, which made things a bit better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to mentioned getting hammered. This is what gets me because I always do it during peak hours.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:23 PM

gramps, what type of process/execution goals do you make -- isn't setting an amount part of that?

ilikeaces, what level, are you a pro, and how do you typically do this (3 nights a week for 6 hours, etc.)?
Old 10-12-2005, 03:26 PM

Congrats process boy, you're up a couple thousand on me so far.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:43 PM

damn drinking. If only drinking and friday/saturday nights didnt go hand in hand. oh well -EV as it is gotta have fun