Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 01:18 PM

Default Re: Goals vs. Achievements

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with Cactus and Irie.

I play not really for the income but to learn and become better. So I do not really have a ROI or $$ goal but just to become better. But then again, I'm 8 years out of school and married - if I was still in school I could definitely see it becoming a pissing contest between friends.

So anyway - my non-monetary goal is to be 4-tabling $22s by this time next year and improve post-flop play through 6-max cash games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love it when people talk about goals of four tabling the 22s this time, NEXT YEAR!

That is awesome and shows some great patience. I am so used to all these "teenies" coming in here wanting to quadthousand table the 215s next week it makes me want to puke, lol.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I play not really for the income but to learn and become better. So I do not really have a ROI or $$ goal but just to become better. But then again, I'm 8 years out of school and married - if I was still in school I could definitely see it becoming a pissing contest between friends.

So anyway - my non-monetary goal is to be 4-tabling $22s by this time next year and improve post-flop play through 6-max cash games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love it when people talk about goals of four tabling the 22s this time, NEXT YEAR!

That is awesome and shows some great patience. I am so used to all these "teenies" coming in here wanting to quadthousand table the 215s next week it makes me want to puke, lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I wish I had as much free time as these teenies. I'm lucky to get in 6 SNG's after a 10 hour workday, walking the dog, making dinner, etc. That and I treat this as a hobby, and not as a source of income.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I wish I had as much free time as these teenies. I'm lucky to get in 6 SNG's after a 10 hour workday, walking the dog, making dinner, etc. That and I treat this as a hobby, and not as a source of income.

[/ QUOTE ]

You and me both bro.

I am a chef as my full time job and not looking to change it.

However as a hobby it does pay for itself and I dont mind making an extra $100 a week or more for spending money.

Dont get me wrong, I love the game of poker I just think it would be way to stressfull as a career is all. And using it as a hobby, well, you get the best of both worlds and there is nothing wrong with that at all.

PS: What do you do for your full time job?
Old 10-12-2005, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting post, and interesting reply by Cactus.

You both hit on some very important points, IMO. Cactus hit the nail on the head with his comment about the age of most posters here and their need for approval.

Every few months a new batch of teen marvels will emerge claiming 25% ROIs over thousands of $55s and setting goals to play 20,000 SNGs over the next year so they can buy a car and their own island and quit school. Then they run cold for like 3 seconds and get depressed and embarassed and stop posting while they dream about buying real estate with no money down or whatever.

There you go, Cactus... I'll see if I can turn this nice thread into a flamefest.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

I was hoping I could innoculate it, but you closed the deal.

nh

CJ

Edit: The truth is I've never put a dime of my own money up. (I got $10 last year from Royal Vegas and Pacific, and have been playing on it since.) That's my single claim to achievement. My goal is to remain flush while getting better. So far...X <--fingers crossed

Old 10-12-2005, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Survey/Opinion Research -- brand strategy, advertising research, opinion/political polling, etc.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Survey/Opinion Research -- brand strategy, advertising research, opinion/political polling, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats neat. Do you enjoy it much? Sounds like it could become very repetitive. Not saying that cooking doesnt. LOL!
Old 10-12-2005, 01:37 PM

My biggest poker achievement of the month has very little to do with poker.

I finally explained to my better half that just because we are comfortable without my poker income does not mean that it is free money. I explained how bankroll growth works and the true potential. I think she realizes now how short-sighted it is to spend it almost as fast as I can make it and the added stress this causes.

Bankroll Protected-Stress Reduced-Bed Still Warm

By far my biggest achievement of the month.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:42 PM

wow, +++++++++EV. You are the man!
Old 10-12-2005, 01:45 PM

i admit that i did set a goal over the summer to play 20,000 next year, though with intentions to buy things like a new TV and save most of it rather than wasting all the proceeds. however (this goes against the thread rules, but is important) i realized after school started that playing that much during school is simply not realistic since a problem set, lab, or studying needs to take priority.

goals, to me, are extremely helpful because they give me something to reach and for me it's an accomplshment that i was able to tell myself "no, 20,000 will not happen and there's no point in killing yourself then lowering it massively near the end of the year." i've set a new goal for 12,000 in a year, which i still believe will be a challenge (especially since i'm going to be either working or in school full time).

as for recent things, i had my worst downswing ever, of about 30 buyins (until this point, i was always able to play a couple more hours and the downswing would end and i'd break about even or win a little bit with rakeback) but then managed to win back about 20 of them in one session, which made things a bit better.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:45 PM

That IS an achievement. One I haven't gotten close to managing yet, and don't think I'll live so long.

"You're playing a GAME. That's not work!"

CJ