Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 08-17-2005, 12:49 AM

Default Playing suited connectors, Axs

In a typical low-limit game, what odds are you looking for before you enter a pot with a low/mid suited connector (56s-910s) or an Axs
hand?

Thanks,

Billy
Old 08-17-2005, 02:49 AM

Default Re: Playing suited connectors, Axs

An unraised family pot. But I'm risk-adverse.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:37 AM

Your ideal pot is unraised and 5-handed (or more) much like it is with a small pair. You would also prefer a table where there is not a lot of raising on the flop so you can see a cheap 4th card or make a free card play with little risk of being 3-bet when you flop a good draw. (The pair actually likes a lot of raising on the flop since you'll have either hit your set or have missed it and wouldn't be calling a single bet most of the time anyway.)

So assuming you are in late position you would like to see 3 people limp in front of you. You can get away with just 2 limpers if the small blind is likely to complete or there is a loose button, etc. Just be aware that playing these hands against too few limpers is trouble.

However, if 3 players limped then someone raised in a lot of the low limit games I play in I would probably cold-call with T9s or 66 since it is now likely that this will be a large multi-way pot. The limpers will certainly call and the BB and probably somebody else will too and I have good position with a hand I can release if it doesn't hit hard. This is one of those high variance plays (i.e. not for small bankrolls) since it tends to miss frequently but wins a quite large pot when it does.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:04 AM

As for the suited connectors at least 4 players with no raise. Though i will play them on the button with 4 or 5 in and a raise as everyones calling.

As for ace -x suited I will enterin the middle or late position and if first in I will raise at a tight table.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:08 PM

If we assume an unraised pot, against random hands played to showdown, we can come up with some numbers. I'm using Poker Stove for all these estimates.

For 56s, you'll need 5 other players to have equity above your "fair share". The more callers, the higher your equity. Regardless, you aren't much ahead.

For 9Ts, two callers are all that are required to gain your "fair share". When heads-up, you are a small dog.

For Axs, headsup is enough to get you your "fair share".

Of course, this is for a perfect scenario where all variables are known.

Regards,

T