Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 07-29-2005, 10:09 AM

Default who knows about sailing and sailboats?

I just finished taking a basic course, I will probably take the next more advanced course in a few weeks. I live right on a marina so I would like to buy a sailboat as it is something I think I will really enjoy and i would get a lot of use out of it. We used J-24's in our class, a new one runs $40k which is doable but I would prefer to spend a little less. The MacGregor 26 runs for $20k base price and seems OK, I am sure it is not as high quality as the J-24 but to be honest I don't know how to determine the quality of a boat and I also don't need state of the art equipment as I am a beginner and just want to get my feet wet. Can anybody recommend anything else? Is buying used a good option? Any good sites for reviews, all the sites I have found so far seem biased.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:14 AM

Default Re: who knows about sailing and sailboats?

I'd buy a dingy to start off with. The last thing you need is to run a 40k boat aground. I've sailed 420's and Flying Juniors at the college level. Both will be great learning platforms and lots of fun. To sail the bigger keelboats you also need competent crew members, but if you feel comfortable sailing and giving instructions you could take a 2man dingy out with a rank beginner without much problems. If you want to learn on your own a Laser is the way to go.

-SmileyEH
Old 07-29-2005, 10:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to learn on your own a Laser is the way to go. -SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

Lasers are very cool. They used to be expensive but I don't know anymore. My mom lived on a 42' sailboat when I was growing up and it was very doable with 2 semi-experienced people. My mom's husband has a USCG 100 Ton Master license. He does a lot of sailing, teaching, writing for sailing magazines and has been a boat broker. I'll ask him for you if you'd like. PM me.

Also, remember the old adage: A boat is a hole in the water to pour money into. It's very true. If you think you can swing a $40k boat, then you should probably think about a $20k boat because it will always cost more than you think for meintenance, repairs, etc.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:49 AM

You're suggesting some serious numbers for someone who "only wants to get his feet wet."

Do you need a boat you can sleep on, and how many people must it carry?

If you just want something for summer day sports, perhaps the Sunfish which is just great for one or two.

Catamarans are a blast, too.

If you want more space and the ability to sleep overnight on your boat, you could end up spending more. But check around. Unless you've just got tons of money to burn I can't see that it would be necessary to spend that kind of dough if all you're looking to do is get your feet wet and have some fun.

Check used (or near-new) prices for various sailboats on www.ebay.com

Do an eBay search in category "boats" using criteria "sail" or "sunfish" or "catamaran" or whatever. Remember that last-minute auction prices can jump, but a Buy It Now price is fixed if that option is utilized.

Old 07-29-2005, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do an eBay search in category "boats" using criteria "sail" or "sunfish" or "catamaran" or whatever. Remember that last-minute auction prices can jump, but a Buy It Now price is fixed if that option is utilized.

[/ QUOTE ]

Be careful though. I wouldn't buy anything more than a Sunfish w/o getting it hauled and looked at by someone that knows what he's doing. Think about it like buying a used car. Take it to a good mechanic to look at first.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:04 PM

I wouldn't buy anything as big as a J-24 for your first boat. If you're content with having a daysailer with no cabin, you should be able to score a good used Etchell or Lighting or many other ~20 foot boats for only a few thousand dollars. I just bought a Lighting for only $1100 with the trailer included. Granted it's not in the best shape, but just buy something cheap to get your feet wet with. None of the one designs are going to depreciate much (if at all.)

And don't buy anything with a wooden hull.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:28 PM

Well it depends a lot on what you want to do.

Do you want to just go out for daysails every now and again?

How many will go with you?

Do you want to race?

Do you want to cruise? (go somewhere and overnight on the boat)

Each of those ways to sail requires a different kind of boat.

Lasers are fun, but only for one sailing around the harbor. There are plenty of 16-20 foot daysailors that you can take a few folks around on.

If you want to race you can find some used J-22's or J-24's around for far less. If you want a racing dinghy, something like a 420 is a blast for a skipper and 1 crew.

Cruising boats with a cabin, should be a little bigger, but a J-24 will do for you and your significant other for 1 night.

There must be a broker around that you can go to and they can show you around. There are plenty of used boats to choose from to fit into your price range. If the boat is used, ask someone to recommend a surveyor that will inspect it for you before you buy.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:36 PM

My grandfather was a really big sailor. Like, REALLY big. He was always racing his boat up in New England. Unfortunately, he died when I was pretty young, so I never got too into it. It seems like a lot of fun though.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There must be a broker around that you can go to and they can show you around. There are plenty of used boats to choose from to fit into your price range. If the boat is used, ask someone to recommend a surveyor that will inspect it for you before you buy.

[/ QUOTE ]
The surveyor thing is key. However you may want to consider crewing out of, or even joining one of your local yacht clubs. You may find that you can satisfy your jones by just being crew for a while. If you still want to own you will have a network of really knowlegeable sailors to give you advice.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The surveyor thing is key. However you may want to consider crewing out of, or even joining one of your local yacht clubs. You may find that you can satisfy your jones by just being crew for a while. If you still want to own you will have a network of really knowlegeable sailors to give you advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did this a lot when I was a teenager. I crewed all over the place. There's always someone looking to move a boat from place to place or who's regular crew is sick or something, that just needs an extra set of hands. They usually pay for food, beer and a little extra. Just hang around the docks or marina bars on weekends and meet the regulars.