Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Tax gamblers?
Yes 43 21.61%
No 156 78.39%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-08-2005, 12:54 AM

Default New and different games

After watching some of the side game action at the big one, as well as some of the smaller competing tournament, e.g. the Palms, I've decided it would be in my interest to become decent at some of the odd and/or less popular games that people play to "gamble" after a bad tourney night. Chinese Poker, Pedugy, Pineapple (normal, crazy, 8/b, and crazy 8/b), and various triple draw variants all fall in this category.

Where can I learn these? I've been playing pineapple and triple draw for play money on UB, and I know there is a book and piece of software for Chinese poker. So I guess I'm looking for information on Pedugy--from what I know about it, it's four card draw lowball (ace low) except to qualify, you must have all four suits in your hand.

Where can I learn all these (I guess mainly Pedugy)? Any suggestions? What types of hands will win? Et cetera...

Old 07-08-2005, 08:41 AM

Default Re: New and different games

[ QUOTE ]
After watching some of the side game action at the big one, as well as some of the smaller competing tournament, e.g. the Palms, I've decided it would be in my interest to become decent at some of the odd and/or less popular games that people play to "gamble" after a bad tourney night. Chinese Poker, Pedugy, Pineapple (normal, crazy, 8/b, and crazy 8/b), and various triple draw variants all fall in this category.

Where can I learn these? I've been playing pineapple and triple draw for play money on UB, and I know there is a book and piece of software for Chinese poker. So I guess I'm looking for information on Pedugy--from what I know about it, it's four card draw lowball (ace low) except to qualify, you must have all four suits in your hand.

Where can I learn all these (I guess mainly Pedugy)? Any suggestions? What types of hands will win? Et cetera...

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.pokerpages.com/articles/p...-ruddock06.htm
Old 07-08-2005, 10:03 AM

Pedugy, I don't know. If you know the rules (I don't) just start plugging through some math. That will get you a huge advantage over anyone who does not know the numbers of the game.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:55 PM

Its a great idea. If you get skilled at multiple games you will often find that your relative advantage in these games is huge since many times players get involved without much, if any, understanding of the game. Very high EV.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:28 PM

dont diversify your bonds until you have something to diversify.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:01 PM

Thanks.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:27 PM

I constantly face the same dilemna as the OP but always just convince myself to focus on improving my hold'em game before devoting serious time to other forms of poker. I guess that doesn't make me a poker player. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-09-2005, 12:58 PM

I think learning other games has significantly helped me develop as a player.

A game like triple draw lowball (and I'm assuming badugi/padooki/however we're spelling it today) is structured much like limit hold'em. You end up making the same strategic choices with slightly different information.

Games like stud/8 or omaha/8 force you to learn how to evaluate equity quickly. When you go back to hold'em it's much easier to figure out if you can call a bet with an inside straight and backdoor flush.

Of course, game selection is the real reason to learn the lesser played games. When someone feels like losing money playing stud/8 or triple draw, you'll at least have the option of taking them up on the offer.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
dont diversify your bonds until you have something to diversify.

[/ QUOTE ]