Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 12-20-2005, 11:38 AM

Default Re: longest winning streak?

Make sure you're not manufacturing win streaks like Caro warned about in Supersystem 2.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:50 PM

yes it can....(but not for more than say 100 sessions or so)...just play until you are up and leave when you do. (completely results oriented)

It just means that when the inevitable long swing does hit, its going to hit much harder. I used to play like this when I first started playing, for months....I think I went 3 1/2 months doing this....playing maybe 15 minutes one day and then 4-5 hours the next...as long as I was up... but then one day I just couldnt win for about 2 weeks...no matter how many hands. Now I know that the money is just going to be there, and theres no need to freak out.

Now... never having a losing month...Its been a year for me since Ive had a losing or (-$) month, but thats pretty easy with RB and Bonii.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:39 PM

I thought winning streaks were a myth...a fantasy... now your telling me they actually exist!?!? Time for me to go out and get me one.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:44 PM

if you play poker or gamble for a living sometimes it helps to "manufacture" a win streak. In a vacuum, yes it's all 1 long session but like I said if you do this for a living over an extend time span the less up and downs you experience, you'll be better off emotionally and psychologically.

I'm hardly a grizzled veteran and in my 20's and it's already worn on me. Taking swings for tens of thousands of dollars is not something a lot of sane people want to do.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you play poker or gamble for a living sometimes it helps to "manufacture" a win streak.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is going to a table doubling up then leaving considered to be manufacturing a win streak? If so, when is it no longer considered to be manufacturing?
Old 12-22-2005, 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if you play poker or gamble for a living sometimes it helps to "manufacture" a win streak.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is going to a table doubling up then leaving considered to be manufacturing a win streak? If so, when is it no longer considered to be manufacturing?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you need to manufacture a win streak in order to help you psychologically, then sure it won't kill you, but you should probably get a little mentally tougher. On the other hand, trying to manufature a winning streak when you feel in need of one can be costly because you allow yourself to sit in bad games with a bad frame of mind trying to get back to even.

If you join a table, double up, and leave, then maybe you're mising out on a great game when you quit.