Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-11-2005, 09:49 PM

Default Should have i bet earlier? 22s bb vs UTG

Been quiet tight, havent seen him make any sneaky or agressive plays. How do you play this? I know the rver bet was pretty bad

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

MP (t715)
CO (t380)
Button (t3355)
SB (t1645)
Hero (t845)
UTG (t1060)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls t100, [color=#666666]4 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (t250) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [color=#0000FF](2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks.

Turn: (t250) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [color=#0000FF](2 players)</font>
Hero checks, [color=#CC3333]UTG bets t100</font>, Hero calls t100.

River: (t450) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [color=#0000FF](2 players)</font>
[color=#CC3333]Hero bets t100</font>, UTG calls t100.

Final Pot: t650
Old 12-11-2005, 10:18 PM

Default Re: Should have i bet earlier? 22s bb vs UTG

What is your reasoning for checking the flop? And then again on the turn?
Old 12-11-2005, 10:23 PM

Default Re: Should have i bet earlier? 22s bb vs UTG

You played it awfully catutiously. You've got to assume you're ahead with top pair. I would like checking the flop better if UTG had raised, as you could be fairly sure he would auto-bet if you checked, but since he just limped, there's too good a chance he'll just check behind you if you check, so you should be the flop to protect your hand. Since your kicker sucks, you're happy to take the pot down on the flop. Still with such an unthreatening board, checking isn't as bad as it could be, but you'd hate to see an Ace pop up on the turn.

On the turn, you should bet. The chance of you being outkicked has gone way down, as he almost certainly would have bet with a pair of Kings. So bet for value.

The river bet doesn't seem bad to me. You could bet a little more, but you're basically making a blocking bet there, which is a good tactic when the scare card comes.