Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2005, 08:06 AM

Default Re: I am seriously and sincerely impressed (no joke).

[ QUOTE ]
The point of poker as a profession is to make as much $$ as possible

[/ QUOTE ]

This will not work out well for anyone who tries it.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:16 AM

Default Re: my shortest session ever

Yeah money is what drives American Society... what is your point???
Old 09-23-2005, 10:52 AM

Default Re: I don\'t like it.

[ QUOTE ]
Eugene,

If Barry G, Chau G. and Chip R. all told you that taking lessons from Tommy was a good investment, would you consider taking those lessons or would you ignore them because your normal limits are higher than Tommy's normal limits? The best coaches in most professional sports are not the best players in those sports. The best acting coaches are not the best actors. Why do you think poker should be any different?

BTW, having said all that, Tommy could school many players who successfully play at limits far higher than what Tommy normally plays. You can choose to believe that or not, but I have played many, many sessions with Tommy and know that for a fact. There's a lot more to poker than limits and $$$.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never met you, El D. But I believe every word you said here 100%.

- Kenny
Old 09-23-2005, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The only running joke on 2+2 that is worse than TSP's constant ragging on Tommy is SIIHP. It's gotta be obvious by now that he only posts these posts to get a rise out of people. If he even let one Tommy post slide by without remark, it would lend a little credibility to his antagonism.

The joke has seriously run it's course though.

[/ QUOTE ]

TSP might be running good, so what?
Old 09-23-2005, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Eugene,

If Barry G, Chau G. and Chip R. all told you that taking lessons from Tommy was a good investment, would you consider taking those lessons or would you ignore them because your normal limits are higher than Tommy's normal limits? The best coaches in most professional sports are not the best players in those sports. The best acting coaches are not the best actors. Why do you think poker should be any different?

BTW, having said all that, Tommy could school many players who successfully play at limits far higher than what Tommy normally plays. You can choose to believe that or not, but I have played many, many sessions with Tommy and know that for a fact. There's a lot more to poker than limits and $$$.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but I doubt any of those guys would recommend Tommy's lessons.
There IS a lot more to poker than just strategy. For example, Barry Greenstein's book doesn't discuss strategies much (except for the NL Tournament stuff at the end), but it was still a very worthwhile read, because it stressed the importance of self-control: quitting when you're losing (and likely playing bad) which some guys can't do, and playing when they're stuck to really bleed them.

I'm assuming that this is the kind of stuff that Tommy teaches (avoiding tilt, game selection, etc). But frankly, this kind of stuff is either well known (game selection) or much more important at the highest limits where their edges are so small normally that continuing to play when one of the other world-class players is not in top form is very important.
But for most people who would buy Tommy's lessons, most of the games they'll play in are good already. What they really need are better strategy and hand reading skills, neither of which I think Tommy could teach well.
Plus, Greenstein's book costs $30, not $5K.

And to Tommy's original post: Here's a short-handed 20/40 game where the remaining players are tired and stuck and he's fresh, and he still doesn't think it's worth playing. Doesn't sound like he has much confidence in his own game.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:29 AM

"What they really need are better strategy and hand reading skills, neither of which I think Tommy could teach well."

-I strongly disagree. I know Tommy well and have played with him. He's a superb hand reader and strategist. As well as a superb communicator and teacher. What more could you want in an instructor?

"Doesn't sound like he has much confidence in his own game."

-With all due respect, doesn't sound like you read the post carefully. He was going to play and decided not to when there was an overt a-hole at the table.

Nobody is required to take lessons from Tommy. They can call him up and decide whether they think he can help them. No matter how good the games are.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah, what he said.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah money is what drives American Society... what is your point???

[/ QUOTE ]

My point is that you are making a very broad generalization about "drive" or "the purpose to life" Not everyone thinks as small as you do.

Life on Earth is a tiny fraction of our "life". There are a significant number of Americans est. 25-33% (feel free to google) that are more concerned with the long term goals of eternity, where "money" makes no difference.

Usually my posts concerning religion have been regularly flamed, but with each I also receive numerous PM's expressing their gratitude for speaking what they agreed with.

So instead of posting a different religious viewpoint from yours.I initially attempted to show my (and others) disgust at your broad generalization about "how things work" and "what's important" and "freedom". You fail to even see how you are pushing your religion. If you think "life" and "freedom" have anything to do with money, then you are very mistaken and should pick up a book called The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren. (#1 Best Seller with 30million or so copies sold)

GBU
Old 09-23-2005, 02:45 PM

the point of any profession is to make as much money as possible. correct? so anyone who doesnt make a lot is a loser.

Oh My.

What are they teaching our children these days?
Old 09-23-2005, 02:50 PM

To a man, the posters here who play well, know him the best and have played with him the most all say he plays really well. Anyone who knows anything about life knows there's nothing written here that beats that.

And anyone who knows anything about life, knows that Tommy lives, and his life is not measured by his time spent sitting at a poker table.

I'd like to think this is at least somewhat true for myself as well.

-Scott