Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2005, 02:04 AM

Default Re: Using drugs to enhance ur tourney game?

[ QUOTE ]
Scott, he didnt close the thread. There's nothing wrong with considering closing it, thats his job as a moderator. There's also nothing wrong with his position when it comes to drugs, he's entitled to his opinion. Your words seemed harsh to me since he didnt in fact excercise his power in any inappropriate way. It seems to me that this was the mark of a good moderator. Lloyd's opinions as a poster made him wish the thread was deleted, but he realized as a moderator that would be inapproriate and did not go on a power trip. I think an apology is probably in order here.

[/ QUOTE ]owned lol
Old 09-03-2005, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not too much imput, but for me, playing after smoking is a really bad mix, same with drinking (neither of which i do often, just from the small sample size) however my girlfriend was prescribed Adderall and i can vouge that Adderall is a pretty awesome prescription. I'm not sure if the effects were just because i wasn't used to the meds or not, but it basically felt like brain was kicked into overdrive. I havn't been able to play poker while on adderall yet, but i'm seriously going to ask my doctor about getting a prescription because it was crazy. It's legal speed though, so does get your heart rate up, gave me terrible dry mouth, and i was up for hours. But I definitely think it would have a positive effect on my poker game, especially for live games when you can't open up 4 tables to keep yourself occupied.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you had this reaction to adderall, you were in effect taking speed. It doesn't have this effect on people with ADD. It has a calming effected (no sleeplessness, etc). The reason it has value as a street drug is that people without ADD get the effect you described.
Old 09-03-2005, 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you had this reaction to adderall, you were in effect taking speed. It doesn't have this effect on people with ADD. It has a calming effected (no sleeplessness, etc). The reason it has value as a street drug is that people without ADD get the effect you described.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, legal speed it was, however if any drug (prescribed or not) was to be helpfull to your poker game, this would be it. I'm sure there are some otehr college students on the baord here that have used it to study.. and it can really help you focus. (wether you have ADD or not)

I don't know enough about the side effects to be promoting this on here.. but i can't see how it would be bad in moderation, all it is is increased dopamine.

Though, i know it's addictive as hell, (as speed tends to be)

blah..
Old 09-03-2005, 03:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There's nothing wrong with considering closing it, thats his job as a moderator

[/ QUOTE ]

Frankly, I didn't see anything in the thread to warrant such consideration.
Old 09-03-2005, 04:25 AM

Me neither. I hate this new moderator vs. peasant dynamic that has been set up recently and the entire orgy of debates/pointless banter that has arisen from it.

-Jason
Old 09-03-2005, 10:03 AM

Along similar lines, thermogenics work relatively well. For those that are not familiar, they're diet supplements that decrease appetite and increase your energy FAR higher than normal for several hours... like the duration of a typical MTT tourney. I've taken them before (Ripped Fuel plus caffeine) and I can honestly say it helped me stay focused.
Should your AA get cracked and you're out several hours earlier than you anticipated... well, your AND your neighbor's lawns will look GREAT the next morning.

Kirk
Old 09-03-2005, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, legal speed it was, however if any drug (prescribed or not) was to be helpfull to your poker game, this would be it. I'm sure there are some otehr college students on the baord here that have used it to study.. and it can really help you focus. (wether you have ADD or not)

I don't know enough about the side effects to be promoting this on here.. but i can't see how it would be bad in moderation, all it is is increased dopamine.

blah..

[/ QUOTE ]

Walking on a razor's edge is very tricky...
Old 09-03-2005, 06:49 PM

Scott,
You know I respect you man but your posts were a little over the top to the personal side, I know it is easy to really not consider the effects of such posts in an online setting but I would be more thoughtful in the futrue, you are an intelligent guy and attacks like that don't portray that.

LLoyd,
I whole-heartedly know where your frustration is coming from as I went through a similar situation with Diablo a few weeks back, however, the precident has been set that simple flaming is generally not condusive to shutting down a thread or locking it as the backlash from this will be undoubtedly much worse than the original problem. I understand your anti-drug stance but I think for the most part (I havent read the entire thread) the debate sparked here was interesting/valid even though it might have bordered the line of illegal/legal activity. In cases like this where you are left with any doubt about the place that a thread like this serves in the forum use one of the various outlets you have to speak to other mods or Mat to ask advice before taking any steps to rectify it. You must be careful, whether it is intentional or not to even leave the door open for people to think that you locked or deleted a post due to idealogical clashes with posts made in the thread. Otherwise continue to do what you have been doing as I think you have dont a great job in your mod role to date.

If anyone has any questions about anything simply PM me.
~Justin
Old 09-05-2005, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I should be more specific because I did not intend to spark a weed/illegal drug discussion. What I mean is more along the lines of legitimate pharamaceutical drugs like prozac, ritalin, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
"Legitimate" pharmaceutical drugs that are not prescribed are just as illegal as other drugs. Frankly, I'm doing my best to not close this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be such a narrow minded little prick on a power trip.

All I have to do is go to the doc and ask, and he'll give me a perfectly legal prescription for ambien. Oh and in fact, I have already done so. I don't use them often, and I personally find myself groggy in the morning when I take one, so I think it would hurt my game.

And there is nothing wrong with asking people if doing this PERFECTLY LEGAL act might help them in poker.

-Scott

[/ QUOTE ]
Trust me, there is no power trip and I resent the implication. You have no idea who I am and what I do outside of poker but trust me, to accuse me of such is a joke. And frankly, I expect an apology for an absolutely unnecessary personal attack.

And I'm sorry if I believe that taking non-prescribed medication is as bad as taking other forms of illegal drugs. The effects of such can be as harmful as taking any illegal drug on the street. In fact, drugs like Ritalin have a street value many, many times more than their actual cost because of their abusive and harmful use.

If you are prescribed medication by a doctor, great. Use it in the manner prescribed and if that is somehow tied into your poker schedule then wonderful. But if you are taking drugs specifically to enhance your poker game when you otherwise have no need then I think that's an absolutely stupid thing to do. Call me narrow minded if you must.

[/ QUOTE ]

Prescription drugs are often safer because you know what's in them as well as the proper dose. Not that people popping painkillers prefer proper prescriptions.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

blah..

[/ QUOTE ]

All speed and cocaine do basically is increase dopamine. That's why they are addictive too.