Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2005, 06:54 PM

Default Re: Socializing and Meeting New People

I'm usually the same way. Always keeping headphones on is a good way to avoid all those stupid people out there.
Old 04-09-2005, 06:55 PM

i know somebody that walks around SF with headphones leading to no audio device. i am social though.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:03 PM

I'm either in a good mood and am REALLY social....(usually evenings)

or I'm cranky and I just want the whole world to leave me the f'ck alone (usually mornings/afternoons)

It also is very related to my recent caffeine intake.

I think my extremes on my socialability are far greater than anyone I have ever met.

Friends of mine would quickly concur with me on this.
It's almost to a bi-polar type of extreme with me.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:05 PM

What? People on an Internet poker forum don't like getting out and meeting new people? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-09-2005, 07:12 PM

I am an unsocial guy, but I enjoy airline conversations. You can meet some really interesting people that you wouldn't in your every day life, and you don't have to talk for so long that the conversation gets boring, even if you actually have little in common. If they are a hot girl, this increases the incentive for conversation, and if they are not a hot girl, they might know some hot girls.

Maybe you find it easy to make really good friends, but in the more likely case that you don't, it becomes even more worthwhile. The number of people that you will make a genuinely deep, lifelong friendship/relationship with are so small, but so important, that it is worth giving most people a whirl. Also keep in mind that to progress in life who you know is probably more important than what you know. I have had the most amazing things happen to me just because I explored a relationship that I had no pressing reason to, one of my closest friends is mates with Bill Gates and Warren Buffett - it hasn't come in useful yet, but it might do some time in the future. Basically, initiating a conversation has little downside, with potentially massive upside. As a poker player, you shouldn't be so scared of that gamble.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:17 PM

While I agree in principle with those advocating being more sociable and the like... I'm pretty much the same as Bruiser.

I find that most people and what they have to say are not interesting to me and having conversations in these situations very draining. I wish it weren't so...
Old 04-09-2005, 08:12 PM

what are you guys all talking about, attractive girls? there aren't that many attractive girls around, especially so on airplanes. there are about 2 a flight and never sitting next to me.
Old 04-09-2005, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
godmn bruiser. you are hands down the most anti-social person in OOT. You never shower; you never talk to people; and you can't stand the thought of leaving the house to go see a flick. you will make a great online pro.

[/ QUOTE ]

actually i always shower more than everyone i know (maybe i brush my teeth a little less), once i get into a good convo i like it it's just as someone said the same questions and conversations over and over again boring is "draining" perfect word for it. i love going to the theatre even if the movie isn't that good.
Old 04-09-2005, 08:15 PM

microbob i am the same as you, when i'm in a good mood i really like socializing with everyone even if they are bad people it is just so easy and natural to make conversation then and fun.
Old 04-09-2005, 09:07 PM

I talk to random strangers all the time, and I enjoy it seriously. When talking to people I know, I usually say crazy [censored] to keep it interesting. Normal bores me.